Deleting read only directory

I have created a directory on my hard drive using explorer. Have placed some
files in it and when finished what I was doing, deleted them. When I try to
delete the directory I get a message that some other program is using the
directory. Its properties show the directory is read only. If I change it it
just reverts to read only. I have rebooted the computer to no avail. Anyone
know what the problem is.
5ivey.

Dave Patrick

The read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows. Every
single folder on my systems have the read-only attribute set.

You might give this a go.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Handle.html

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
|I have created a directory on my hard drive using explorer. Have placed
some
| files in it and when finished what I was doing, deleted them. When I try
| delete the directory I get a message that some other program is using the
| directory. Its properties show the directory is read only. If I change it
it
| just reverts to read only. I have rebooted the computer to no avail.
Anyone
| know what the problem is.
| 5ivey.

Jim

"5ivey(remove this)@tiscali.co.uk" <5ivey(remove
this)@[email protected]> wrote in message
I have created a directory on my hard drive using explorer. Have placed
some
files in it and when finished what I was doing, deleted them. When I try
delete the directory I get a message that some other program is using the
directory. Its properties show the directory is read only. If I change it
it
just reverts to read only. I have rebooted the computer to no avail.
Anyone
know what the problem is.
5ivey.
Well, one problem is that you don't understand that the read only attribute
of a folder exists on all folders in every XP system in existence. That
attribute is not the reason that you can't delete the folder.

Also, you cannot delete a file, and a folder is merely a special kind of
file, which is in use.

Thus, the question becomes, what program has a handle on that folder? You
may be able to delete the folder in safe mode. Otherwise, you need to get a
program like process explorer which will show which programs have handles on
a particular file.

Jim

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"5ivey(remove this)@tiscali.co.uk" <5ivey(remove
this)@[email protected]> wrote in message
I have created a directory on my hard drive using explorer. Have placed
some
files in it and when finished what I was doing, deleted them. When I try
delete the directory I get a message that some other program is using the
directory. Its properties show the directory is read only. If I change it
it
just reverts to read only. I have rebooted the computer to no avail.
Anyone
know what the problem is.
5ivey.

Is the directory open in any instance of Windows Explorer?

Wesley Vogel

Well, one problem is that you don't understand that the read only
attribute of a folder exists on all folders in every XP system in
existence.

Not true. You cannot even Tell if a folder is Read-only in Windows
explorer.

Read-only only applies to folders that have been customized by you and
special folders.

Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change a folder's Read-only
or System attribute. Changing these attributes can break special folders
and screw up any of your folder customizations. You can only view or change
a folder's Read-only or System attributes by using the attrib command.

Read-only for folders does not mean Read-only like it does with files.

A file that is marked Read-only can be read, but it cannot be changed or
deleted.

You can delete, rename, move or change a folder that has the Read-only
attribute set. But if it's a System folder, you'll get a Warning.

For folders the Read-only and System attributes are used by Windows Explorer
to determine whether a folder is a special folder or whether you have
customized the folder using the Customize tab of Folder Properties.

Special folders include:
Cookies, Control Panel, Desktop, Downloaded Program Files, Favorites, Fonts,
History, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, Recycle Bin, Shared
Documents, Shared Music, Shared Pictures, Shared Videos, SendTo, Start Menu,
Startup, Temporary Internet Files, etc.

When a folder has the Read-Only attribute set, Windows Explorer reads the
Desktop.ini of that folder to see if any special folder settings need to be
set. That is ALL Read-only means for a folder.

The Read-only check box in Folder Properties does NOT apply to the folder.

The Read-only check box for folders is there for convenience, it allows you
to change the Read-only attribute of all the files contained in that folder.
The Read-only check box indicates whether the files in the folder are
Read-only, NOT the folder. If you select this check box all of the files
in the folder will be Read-only. If you clear the check box, none of the
files in the folder will be Read-only. If the check appears green or gray,
then some of the files in that folder may be Read-only.

If the check appears green or gray, it indicates either a mixed (some of the
files may be Read-only) or undetermined condition. Windows Explorer
displays the green or gray check because it would take too long to verify
the state of the read-only attribute for every file in the folder.

The System attribute serves to protect files from accidental deletion.

The System file attribute by default is set by the operating system or some
other program to mark files that are essentially important for proper
functioning of system.

The System attribute is usually used jointly with Hidden and Read-only
attributes to provide maximum protection of system files. The System
attribute is usually regarded by programs as a mandatory rule which forbids
any actions to be taken upon files or folders marked with this attribute.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes