Deleting dead shared printer in active directory

J.H

Dear All,

I've been looking for how to deleting some dead network shared printer by
user.
These dead network shared printers were local to user workstation and shared
by
domain user on that workstation, however, now they are no longer in use, but
they
are still listing onto the Active Directory.

Is there any instruction to help to delete these dead network shared
printer in AD?

Thanks for input,
JH

Paul Bergson

The print pruner should take care of this for you. If not there could be a
permissions issue. It doesn't happen immediately but will hapen over the
course of days. I don't recall the time frame.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246174/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246269/en-us

--
Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, CNE, CNA, CCA
http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

J.H

Hi group,

Yes, it is there, however, user shared their local printer and list it in
the AD,
time to time, they replaced the old printer and delete the old one. The
previous
shared printer still lists itself in AD. I look for the way to delete those
old ones.

Do we have to use ADSI Edit to delete these dead shared printers?

Thanks for your reply,
JH

Paul Bergson

The pruner should clean up AD.

--
Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, CNE, CNA, CCA
http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

Thanks all of your help there. However, I want to know where I can get the
print pruner?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Ivan said:
Thanks all of your help there. However, I want to know where I can
get the print pruner?

Printer pruning is an automatic process the runs on all DCs. Since printers
are automatically published in AD (default behavior), AD keeps tabs on the
printers that have been published. If the printer is not available for more
than 24 hours (maybe due to either a power outage on a machine with a shared
printer, or one that you've manually removed), AD will prune it or remove
it. It does this to prevent orphaned printers. You can turn it off if you
like or extend the default 24 hour time period.

Print Service Product Operations Guide - Chapter 5 - Troubleshooting:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/cits/mo/winsrvmg/pspog/pspog5.mspx.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...