Delete files older than X days

babu

Can you let me know..how to delete files older than X
days in Windows 2000 server only..

I tried using forfiles.. but it doesn't have flexibilty
that it can't accept filename more than 8.

Can anyone let me know whether its a bug or thats the way
forfiles works..

Thanks & appreciate ur help

BAbu

Phil Robyn [MVP]

babu said:
Can you let me know..how to delete files older than X
days in Windows 2000 server only..

I tried using forfiles.. but it doesn't have flexibilty
that it can't accept filename more than 8.

Can anyone let me know whether its a bug or thats the way
forfiles works..

Thanks & appreciate ur help

BAbu

That is *not* the way FORFILES works. You probably are not
using the right command syntax, or else you don't have the
latest version of FORFILES.

Paul R. Sadowski

babu said:
Can you let me know..how to delete files older than X
days in Windows 2000 server only..

I tried using forfiles.. but it doesn't have flexibilty
that it can't accept filename more than 8.

Perhaps you can post what you are using. Could it be that you need to quote
the filename like below?
C:\Users\Sadowski [(firecat) 16:08, Tue 06/29/2004]
forfiles -pc:\temp\captures -mcapture*.* -d-2 -c"cmd /c echo
""@PATH\@FILE"""
"c:\temp\captures\Capture3-18-2004-2.02.28 AM.gif"
"c:\temp\captures\Capture6-23-2004-5.32.03 PM.jpg"
"c:\temp\captures\Capture6-24-2004-1.34.14 PM.jpg"

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

babu said:
Can you let me know..how to delete files older than X
days in Windows 2000 server only..

I tried using forfiles.. but it doesn't have flexibilty
that it can't accept filename more than 8.

Can anyone let me know whether its a bug or thats the way
forfiles works..
Hi

In the article below there is a WSH script (vbscript) by Michael Harris
that deletes files x days old in a specific folder (and optionally all
subfolders).

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-10-07 08:12:33 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from
here if you haven't got it already:

Jerold Schulman

Can you let me know..how to delete files older than X
days in Windows 2000 server only..

I tried using forfiles.. but it doesn't have flexibilty
that it can't accept filename more than 8.

Can anyone let me know whether its a bug or thats the way
forfiles works..

Thanks & appreciate ur help

BAbu
DELOLD freeware at tip 274 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Babu

Can you let me know the best way to use it.. below is my
code to delete files older than 4 days

forfiles -pc:\test -d-4 -c"CMD /C DEL /Q ""@PATH\@FILE""

Babu