Defrag on XP?

WeeWilly

I had someone else set up my computer for XP. I don't know if he made some
changes to standard XP programs...

That said.. Does XP have a Defrag? When I click on Defrag I get a program
called Diskeeper Lite. Is this it? Is there something better?

Thanks, Bill

WeeWilly

When I do this I get Diskeeper Lite... It works ok.. but was wondering if
there was any other utility..

The Unknown P

Uninstall Diskeeper lite and use the generic XP defrag
utility. It is designed for XP and does a better job than
any add ons or third party software like Symantec's disk
optimizer. Most third part defraggers are not configured
for the XP hive and so do not do a good job. Keep smiling.

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

He can certainly do that to get back to XP's disk defragmenter but it is
hardly generic. It provided by Executive Software and is nearly identical
to Diskeeper Lite.

There is a third party defragmenter that also works quite well and is faster
and more robust then the XP Defragmenter and has been optimized for XP, it's
called PerfectDisk and a 30 day free trial version can be downloaded from
the following site, you might want to check it out:
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm

Cate

I've been using the Symantec defrag on my XP machine with no problems. If I
opt to use the built-in defragger is it safe to do so after using Symantec?
XP has been so stable after Win98 that I don't want to do anything to muck
things up.

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't go back to the built in defragger.
There should be no problem in that regard.

Cate

Thank you.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Cate" wrote in message If

Vaughn McMillan - Executive Software

Uninstall Diskeeper lite and use the generic XP defrag
utility. It is designed for XP and does a better job than
any add ons or third party software ...

I know of several million people who would disagree with that
statement. The generic XP defrag utility is substantially slower, less
robust, and has fewer features than most of the third-party offerings.

Even Diskeeper Lite outperforms the built-in defragger, and it's
nowhere near the defragger the full Diskeeper is (or several of the
other third-party defraggers, for that matter).

To the original poster: Somewhere along the line someone installed
Diskeeper Lite on the computer in question. I'd recommend getting one
of the full-featured third-party defraggers. Here are a few, but there
are others:

Diskeeper, by Executive Software - www.diskeeper.com

O&O Defrag, by O&O Software - www.oo-defrag.com.

PerfectDisk, by Raxco - www.raxco.com