Defender start up message ??

spyware

I installed Windows Defender several days ago - without problems other
than I get the following balloon message after a minute or so each time
my pc is started .

----------------------------
Windows Defender
An Application Registration change was made for a
Known application file: C:\Program Files\Windows
Defender\MpCmdRun.exe.
--------------------------

Is anyone else getting this and know why this message occurs ?

Many thanks
Alan

Bill Sanderson MVP

Did you do the original install as an administrator?

I've seen this message at some point myself, but not regularly.

alansd

Yes I installed with full admin rights -

Alan

| Did you do the original install as an administrator?
|
| I've seen this message at some point myself, but not regularly.
|

| "spyware" <alansdatbtinternet.com> wrote in message
| | I installed Windows Defender several days ago - without problems
other than I get the following balloon message after a minute or so each
time my pc is started .

| > ----------------------------
| > Windows Defender
| > An Application Registration change was made for a
| > Known application file: C:\Program Files\Windows
| > Defender\MpCmdRun.exe.
| > --------------------------
| >
| > Is anyone else getting this and know why this message occurs ?
| >
| > Many thanks
| > Alan

Yes - I get the same message and I installed with full admin rights, but No,
I don't know why this occurs.

I also get a similar message about one of the Norton AntiVirus files. I
have looked in the various options about how to tell Defender that these
files are ok but without success.

David

Bill Sanderson MVP

I believe that I know the cause of this message. You've checked the options
box to have Windows Defender tell you when "changes are made to your
computer by programs that are allowed to run", and Windows Defender is set
to do scheduled scans.

This message is created as Windows Defender re-schedules the scheduled scan
for the succeeding day. There's a post from a Microsoft staffer here in
these groups mentioning this--but I can't recall exactly who it was or when.

Yes I know why.
chances are you never changed the options. To get rid of this, click on
tools, options, and deselect the option "Changes made to your computer by
software that is allowed to run, and click save.
problem solved!

your friend,

Kevin Cai