default text height comment

mp

Is there a way to set the default text height for a new comment?
Thanks
mark
(I've looked through help but can't find it if it's in there.)

CellShocked

I assume you mean the font size? There is no text height available in Excel.
A comment has a shape property and that is what you can use to change the font size.
They didn't make it easy ...

Range("D4").Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 12

How freakin' hard could it possibly be to make a user selectable
default message settings dialog, and post a freakin update on the update
server? It should have font and coloring settings.

Since I CAN pick my default worksheet baseline, what idiot dropped the
ball on default message settings dialogs? Is it tied into the system
setting to deeply or something.

Oh, I know, the multi-BILLION dollar company cannot see their way fit
to incorporate things they were too stupid to EVER get into the package.

Great 'Office Suite", however, things like getting some desired element
like this IN should not be all that friggin hard considering that they
ALL claim to have viable degrees backed by actually having the education
they represent.

A bunch of budget idiots up there should lose their job. You guys
should be giving us the best damned product available, AND ADD the
changes you hear about that you KNOW you were too dumb to have left out!

Shouldn't have to go to macro enabled just to get a default property
set, and then also be forced to do it on a per cell basis.

Jim Cone

I wouldn't have anything to do if MS improved each successive version instead of just making them
different or strange. <not quite laughing>
'---
Sub AdjustAllComments() 'After the fact
'Jim Cone - January 2011
Dim objCmts As Comments
Dim Cmt As Comment
Dim lngSize As Long

Set objCmts = ActiveSheet.Comments
lngSize = Application.StandardFontSize + 2

For Each Cmt In objCmts
Cmt.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = lngSize
Next
Set Cmt = Nothing
Set objCmts = Nothing
End Sub
'--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.contextures.com/excel-sort-addin.html
(30 different ways to sort in excel)

"CellShocked" <[email protected]>

mp

ok, from what you say and your reply to CellShocked's rant, I deduce the
answer is no.
(as far as new comments as opposed to fixing existing comments)
I could have sworn that sometimes it comes in one size (yes, I meant font
size, sorry)
and then in other workbooks it comes in different size...maybe i'm just
craszy...:)
....so there's not even a hidden registry setting or something?...somewhere
in the program there must be
something telling excel what to print when it creates a new comment...I'm
just thinking out loud.

anyway thanks for the tip on fixing existing comments...I wasn't aware of
that either
Thanks
mark

Jim Cone

One can/should set the standard font/font size used by Excel in...
Tools | Options | General (tab) | Standard font:
I assume that setting is used for Comments.
I didn't confirm that; maybe you will?
(a restart of Excel is necessary)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"mp" <[email protected]>

Jim Cone

Further...
The font size for comments appears to be a function of the WindowsXP setting for ToolTips.
Right-click the desktop, choose Properties...
Appearance (tab) | Advanced (button) | Item (dropdown)

For what is worth, there are other unusual results from some of those settings...
The Icon font size determines the font size in the folder panel in Outlook Express and the font size
used in Windows Explorer.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.contextures.com/excel-sort-addin.html
(30 different ways to sort in excel)

mp

amazing! I never would have found that!
That explains why I've seen it in different sizes...was probably on
different computers with dif settings.
Don't know how you found that but thanks for sharing
Mark

Gord Dibben

Very little you can do with Comments format that does not involve the use of
VBA.

For Window XP................not sure about newer versions.

You can change font size but not font type(Tahoma) through your Windows
Appearance settings for Tooltips.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

CellShocked

<not quite laughing>

I think I could actually succeed with a "comedy you are not supposed to
laugh at" routine, but I fear it would only last an act or two before
people got bored with the fact that the "comedy" is more like a slap to
the face of folks that are so complacent about controlling what their
government does to them.

They get mad at me for making them mad at themselves.

"Hey! That's not supposed to be funny, but you made me laugh at it..."

Gets to the heart of what one really is laughing at.

Try to get your PS3 serviced by Sony and actually get the unit back
that you sent in. Good luck with that.

Software makers are similar. They have their plan, and customer input
does not get addressed, unless it was already part of the plan, just
waiting for enough complaints to raise its priority "fix me now" index
number.

Instead of forcing VB code into each workbook, they should make it so
that a business could ADOPT a code pool into the baseline spreadsheet
package itself "Excel" and then, ALL spreadsheets that get opened at that
enterprise gets to use that code base.

That way, all the macro enable vulnerability considerations can go
away, cause we killed 'em.

Like a little "this is the acceptable code" and nothing more
"spreadsheet firewall" kind of thing.

That way, virus scanners do not need to be digging through macros
looking for malicious code strings. Should shoot all those bastards
anyway. Suck away half my CPU power! Screw that!