default cell formatting for negative numbers

Hii Sing Chung

Even though I have set the negative numbers format in Regional and Language
Settings to be "(1.1)". In Excel (no matter which version), whenever I
created a new worksheet, entering negative numbers always default to "-1.1".
How do a globally change Excel default to always use "(1.1)" for negative
number format, without me to keep on doing the formatting command?

Gord Dibben

Make your changes under the Currency Tab of Regional and Language Settings, not
under the Numbers Tab.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Hii Sing Chung

Actually I changed both the Numbers and Current Tab's negative number display to (1.1). In Excel, if I key in -$1.1 it will appear as ($1.1) but if just key in -1.1 it still appears as -1.1 and not (1.1) . Is it a bug? What I want is number, not currency.
"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message Make your changes under the Currency Tab of Regional and Language Settings, not
under the Numbers Tab.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

You must still set the format for those cells to (1.1)

Excel will not default to (1.1) when you type -1.1

I misinterpreted your original post. I assumed the (1.1) format was not
available.

Gord