debugging on device

Geoff Callaghan

Isn't it possible to debug on the device through a USB connection? I can
only see an IP connection, and I don't see how that can work for most
people.

Also, I would like to debug some serial port code using the emulator. I have
the emulator set to read com 2. Can I send data out com 1on my computer, and
receive it on com 2 via the emulator? How else would I debug serial code?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You can only 'see' an IP connection? Are you connected with ActiveSync?
You *can* use that connection, but that *does not* mean that you select
something other than TCP Connect protocol.

I don't understand that question about the serial port. Your code opens a
single port from the emulator? You can configure which port the emulator's
"COM1:" corresponds to on the PC. The opened port on the emulator is just
'mapped' to the PCs port. You can put a null modem cable between the two
ports on the PC and use Hyperterminal on the desktop OS to talk to the
serial program running in the emulator (at least in theory).

Paul T.

Geoff Callaghan

I am connected with activeSync, but when I run the application, the deploy
fails. I have selected the WinCE 4.2 device in the dropdown.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

If you're not using a PPC device, you have to get the Windows CE Tools for
VS.NET from www.microsoft.com/downloads, and set the right CPU type (a
couple of new tools appear on the VS.NET tools menu). After that, you
should be able to deploy.

Paul T.

Dick Grier

Hi,
Isn't it possible to debug on the device through a USB connection? I can
only see an IP connection, and I don't see how that can work for most
people.
<<

Yes. In fact, this is the standard method.
Also, I would like to debug some serial port code using the emulator. I have
the emulator set to read com 2. Can I send data out com 1on my computer, and
receive it on com 2 via the emulator? How else would I debug serial code?
<<

This isn't a good idea, IMO. I always suggest debugging on the actual
target hardware. See above. This is easiest, most reliable, and allows you
to setup your PC to provide a test component using its serial port(s) to
simulate other hardware, just not that of the PPC.

The emulator simply doesn't work very well for serial port access, emulator
performance is quite different than that of the real hardware, and there can
be real-time issues that only are apparent when using actual hardware.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.

Dick Grier

Is this a PPC or Windows CE device? You have to have selected the
appropriate CPU from Windows CE Tools.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.

Geoff Callaghan

I have those tools installed, and I have chosen "Windows CE .NET Device". I
have been using Windows CE .NET (emulator) without problems. Is that what
you are talking about? It doesn't work. Or am I supposed to tell it what
processor I'm using somehow?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

When you start using a real device, if it's based on Windows CE.NET, as
opposed to PPC, you have to tell it what processor you are using, yes.

Paul T.

Geoff Callaghan

Where do I do that? I don't see any options for that. I know when I copy the
program over...which works fine, by the way...the program runs perfectly. It
wouldn't do that if I was using the wrong processor.

I feel like I"m missing a step here that everyone else thinks is obvious, so
they're not mentioning it. That's been happening to me pretty regularly
since I started working with the compact framework. Are you guys saying all
I should have to do is choose the Device instead of the Emulator in the
dropdown, connect to my device with a USB cable, and hit run, and my program
should deploy and run on the device? That's what I'm doing, and it says it
can't connect.

I didn't write the OS...is it possible there is something wrong there?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You have to read my previous message...

"If you're not using a PPC device, you have to get the Windows CE Tools for
VS.NET from www.microsoft.com/downloads, and set the right CPU type (a
couple of new tools appear on the VS.NET tools menu). After that, you
should be able to deploy."

Yes, other than setting up a few things as listed above, all you have to do
is establish a working ActiveSync connection (it does have to be a working
ActiveSync connection, not just connect the cable up and hope for the best),
and you should be able to deploy to the device.

I guess before I make some sort of blanket statement I should verify that
you *are* running a Windows CE.NET 4.2-based device, right?

Paul T.

Geoff Callaghan

OK, It looks like I have everything set up right. When I run the program, it
installs and deploys everything to the device. But shouldn't the program
then run? The program is copied to the device, and if I run it on the device
it works, but I had assumed that the program would start up by itself, so
that I could set breakpoints and step through it if necessary.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

That depends on what you tell the environment to do. If you tell it to
"deploy", that's what it does. There's no reason to expect that to start
the program, too. If you tell it to Start, then it will start...

Paul T.

Geoff Callaghan said:
[...]

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <ptobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com>
wrote in message When you start using a real device, if it's based on Windows CE.NET,
[...]

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Yeah, and the temperment of Studio. As a rule I *always* use the SDAuthUtil
tool other ethernet. In that case it's pretty solid for debugging.

--
<ctacke/>
www.OpenNETCF.org

Paul G. Tobey said:
[...]

I am telling to start. It just doesn't start. It even says "launching
application....", but there is no launch.

Paul G. Tobey said:
[...]

OK, that's a different problem of some sort. Are you trying this with a
very minimal application, or is this something that references extra
assemblies, etc.? The best thing to try first would be a wizard-generated
Smart Device Application with no code added to it. Set a breakpoint in the
main routine and see how that runs. Either way, that should tell us
something useful.

Paul T.

wrote in message You have to read my previous message...

[...]

OK, I tried that...I put a breakpoint on the Application.Run(New Form1())
command of a brand new empty application, just a form and a lable. I hit
run, and it said it was deploying...then it said "Launching
application"...then it stopped, as if I'd never hit start in the first
place. No breakpoing, no nothing. I even tried starting it with a "step
into", and the same thing happens.

My initial application was fairly complicated, with several support
libraries. The libraries all install fine. Even the program ends up on the
machine.

Paul G. Tobey said:
[...]

OK, that's useful information. Can you, from the VS.NET IDE do a Run
without Debugger operation (I don't recall the specific menu item name), and
have the application run?

Paul T.

wrote in message That depends on what you tell the environment to do. If you tell it
[...]

Yeah, that works fine. Curiouser and Curiouser. Is there a debugging library
I'm not downloading?

Paul G. Tobey said:
[...]

nzpcmad

The way I got around this was:

You need to download and install Microsoft Windows CE Utilities for
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Add-on Pack 1.1 on your development PC running
Visual Studio. Get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-2095-4086-B0CC-7C6C39B28762&displaylang=en

Then read through the solutions listed in the Readme.htm file in the:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\WinCE Utilities folder.

You may need to run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\WinCE Utilities\WinCE Proxy Ports
Reg\ProxyPorts.reg.

Then start ActiveSynch, inside your project go to Tools\Select Windows
CE Device CPU and select ARMV4T or whatever your CPU is. Then deploy
to the device and you should be able to debug on the device.

Thanks

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Double check the proxy ports thing, as suggested in the other thread. If
it's not that, I'd start with reinstalling...

Paul T.