debug class library

bhavin

hi
how do i debug (code step thru) a class library in the CF?
I tried choosing the start program as an external program which references
this library, but it keeps giving me the message "A Project of the pout put
type Class library cannot be debugged" and asks me to set the start program
thing (which i have already)

really appreciate any help.
tia
bhavin

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Write an exe stub which would use that class library to debug it.

Best regards,

Ilya

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Well sure, where do you propose that it start debugging? There is no Main
function and often no calls between any functions. You have to write an EXE
that uses it and debug with that as the startup.

-Chris

bhavin

I need to step thru the code in the dll. i already have an exe using the dll
but i cannot invoke it from inside the dll project. It keeps asking me to
set the debigging mode to "Program" and point it to the exe, which i have
done already.

From: "bhavin" <[email protected]>
Subject: debug class library
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:40:13 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

hi
how do i debug (code step thru) a class library in the CF?
I tried choosing the start program as an external program which references
this library, but it keeps giving me the message "A Project of the pout put
type Class library cannot be debugged" and asks me to set the start program
thing (which i have already)

really appreciate any help.
tia
bhavin

bhavin

I have the Debug mode set as "Program" and Start Application set as the exe
that references this dll. I have been debugging (non-cf) dlls successfully
so far.
I tried attaching 2 screen shots, one showing the debugging settings and the
other the error box, but apparently the message size was too large to post
on here.

Basically i just get the error message which intends to say i havent asked
the project which exe to call to load this poject.

I hope i am not missing something CF specific here.

anyone wants me to send those (2) screen shots directly to their email?

-bh

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

1. Add your EXE project to the same solution as your DLL.
Now you have something like this in the solution explorer:

Solution 'foo' (2 projects)
foo.dll
<Foo.dll stuff here>
foo.exe
<Foo.exe stuff here>

2. Right click on foo.exe.
3. Choose "Set as StartUp Project".

Now you all set and should be able to debug your DLL.

Best regards,

Ilya

Subject: Re: debug class library

From: "bhavin" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:40:13 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

Chris Tacke, eMVP

You probably just need to select the EXE, right click it and tell it to "set
as startup project"

-Chris