dcdiag utility

Bob

Greetings,

I recently ungraded our network (4,500 users) from
winNT4.0 to single win2000 Active Directory domain (its
using DNS, DHCP, WINS). The upgrade went well and
everything has been running smoothly for a couple of
months.

I decided to run the dcdiag utility to check for problems
with Active Directory. Below is the complete error
message is generated in the logfile upon running the
command:

dcdiag /s:SV52 /v /f:c:\logfile \c

The host ?% could not be resolved to a valid IP address.
Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
.......................... SV52 failed test

All the DC are setup in DNS with a static IP address and
correct forward/reverse records. Nslookup show a correct
responce for each.

The q313108 (Dcdiag Incorrectly Reports an Unsuccessful
Connectivity Test for Some IP Addresses) article list the
known problem and suggest the latest SP and hotfixes. All
the DC are at the latest service pack level and are fully
patched.

I wouldn't be worried about this to much, but I'm
preparing for an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 migration
in the near future and would like to have the AD directory
service fully functional.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem would be great.

dcdiag logfile
Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
* Connecting to directory service on server SV52.
* Collecting site info.
* Identifying all servers.
* Found 3 DC(s). Testing 1 of them.
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SV52
Starting test: Connectivity
* Active Directory LDAP Services Check
The host ?% could not be resolved to a valid IP
address.
Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
......................... SV52 failed test
Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SV52
Skipping all tests, because server SV52 is
not responding to directory service requests

Running enterprise tests on : dept.company.com
Starting test: Intersite
Skipping site Default-First-Site-Name, this site
is outside the scope provided by the

command line arguments provided.
......................... dept.company.com passed
test Intersite
Starting test: FsmoCheck
GC Name: \\sv52.dept.company.com
Locator Flags: 0xe00001fc
PDC Name: \\SV01.dept.company.com
Locator Flags: 0xe00001fd
Time Server Name: \\sv52.dept.company.com
Locator Flags: 0xe00001fc
Preferred Time Server Name:
\\sv52.dept.company.com
Locator Flags: 0xe00001fc
KDC Name: \\sv52.dept.company.com
Locator Flags: 0xe00001fc
......................... dept.company.com passed
test FsmoCheck

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Bob,

This is a known issue with the CD version of DCDIAG. It is resolved in the
latest service pack:

313108 Dcdiag Incorrectly Reports an Unsuccessful Connectivity Test for
Some IP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313108

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services