DC not communicating

Ari

I have 2 DC's and 2 member servers running exchange. Just
recently the exchange servers started reporting errors on
a recurring basis about every 20 minutes with event id
8197 with the error: "Error initializing session for
virtual machine 'Server Name'. The error number is
0x80040111. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is
running."

I'm also getting a few other errors stating that the
Domain Controller cannot be found or domain is non-
existant. If I go into Exchange Server Manager and select
Global Settings an error pops up stating there is no
Global Catalog Server present.

I tried a few things, one being demoting and promoting the
GC but that didn't work. Now, just about everything
functions the way it should. The Exchange Server can see
the AD on and users can log on and send/receive mail just
fine. I just can't create a mailbox. the error tells me
the domain is non-existant.

dcdiag tells me the DC is down. Not sure where to go from
here. Any clues?

Thanks

Kevin Bowersock

| From: "Ari" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Ari" <[email protected]>
| Subject: DC not communicating
| Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:06:36 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| I have 2 DC's and 2 member servers running exchange. Just
| recently the exchange servers started reporting errors on
| a recurring basis about every 20 minutes with event id
| 8197 with the error: "Error initializing session for
| virtual machine 'Server Name'. The error number is
| 0x80040111. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is
| running."
|
| I'm also getting a few other errors stating that the
| Domain Controller cannot be found or domain is non-
| existant. If I go into Exchange Server Manager and select
| Global Settings an error pops up stating there is no
| Global Catalog Server present.
|
| I tried a few things, one being demoting and promoting the
| GC but that didn't work. Now, just about everything
| functions the way it should. The Exchange Server can see
| the AD on and users can log on and send/receive mail just
| fine. I just can't create a mailbox. the error tells me
| the domain is non-existant.
|
| dcdiag tells me the DC is down. Not sure where to go from
| here. Any clues?
|
| Thanks

Just out of curiosity do you have one of the servers set as a Global
catalog server? ( this may be a retorical question)
Also you want to verify that the DC's are registered with your DNS servers
and that the _srv records are present.
We have a saying in D/s that "DNS is the root of all evil"

That being said a quick dcdiag and netdiag on the 2 DC's may help point
out what is "really" going on.

Hope that helps!

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights