Date and Number cell formats

RogerT

I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to create a very basic weight chart by
date. Column one is the date and column two is the weight.

I would like all of the dates to appears as 01/06/2010, 10/05/2010,
11/15/2010, etc. -- in other words, mm/dd/yyyy with 2 digits for the month,
2 digits for the day, and 4 digits for the year.

Instead, all I get for the date is: 1 or 2 digits for the month, depending
on whether the month is a 2-digit or 1-digit number; and the same for the
day, 1 or 2 digits. I want them all to appear as mm/dd/yyyy.

I would like the weights to appear as 211.6 , 212.0 , etc. -- in other
words, ###.# with 3 digits for the whole pounds and 1 digit for the tenths
of pounds, even if the tenth is a zero.

Instead, for the numbers, all I get for the weight is the 3 digits I enter
for the whole pounds, and either the tenths of a pound for 1 through 9
tenths, but nothing (no decimal point and no zero) if the tenths are zero.
I want them all to appear as ###.# even if the tenths are zero, not ### if
the tenths are zero.

I don't see the above as options for formatting cells as dates and numbers.

Is there a way to format the cells the way I want as described above?

Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Create a "Custom" format for the dates.

Format>Cells>Number Tab>Custom

mm/dd/yyyy

As for the numbers, simply format to 1 decimal place.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Jim Cone

Choose "Custom" on the "Number" tab in the Format Cells dialog box.
Enter mm/dd/yyyy or 000.0
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"RogerT" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I tried it and it worked for me for the dates. I didn't realize
before that when I selected "custom" I could "Type" in the format mm/dd/yyy.
I thought I could only choose from the options in the list, which did not
include mm/dd/yyy.

I did try simply formatting the numbers to 1 decimal place, but that kept
showing numbers like 221.0 as just 221 without the zero place holder.