DataSet Question

Jack

In my application at runtime I fill a dataset from a database using a stored
procedure and then bind it to a combo box. My question is after I bind it
is the dataset still in memory? I do this for 6 or 7 combo boxes and I do
not need the dataset after I bind it.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Jack,

The Common Language Runtime uses Garbage Collection to clear the useless
objects on the managed heap. When there is a reference pointing the
dataset, it will never be considered as a garbage to be collected. In fact,
you needn't worry about the problem with releasing memory on the managed
heap. Just leave it to the CLR. If you don't want the dataset, try to use
ComboBox.Items.Add() method to add items instead of binding it. Then the
dataset might be collected next time the CLR performs GC.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to reply to the post.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

--------------------
| From: "Jack" <[email protected]>
| Subject: DataSet Question
| Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:39:28 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
|
| In my application at runtime I fill a dataset from a database using a
stored
| procedure and then bind it to a combo box. My question is after I bind it
| is the dataset still in memory? I do this for 6 or 7 combo boxes and I do
| not need the dataset after I bind it.
|
| Thanks in advance

Jack

Thanks for the reply. So, my question is when I pass in
the dataset to a method that binds it and when the
dataset goes out of scope the GC will release it when it
collects? ANother question was when it is bound to the
combobox is it not release into memory until the form is
closed?

Thanks

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Jack,

Whenever there is a reference to the dataset, it will not be collected. So
when you bind the dataset to a combobox, only when the combobox goes out of
scope will the GC collect the dataset. Generally, the ComboBox goes out of
scope when the form closes.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

| From: "Jack" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Jack" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: DataSet Question
| Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:01:38 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
|
| Thanks for the reply. So, my question is when I pass in
| the dataset to a method that binds it and when the
| dataset goes out of scope the GC will release it when it
| collects? ANother question was when it is bound to the
| combobox is it not release into memory until the form is
| closed?
|
| Thanks

| >|
| >| In my application at runtime I fill a dataset from a
| database using a
| >stored
| >| procedure and then bind it to a combo box. My
| question is after I bind it
| >| is the dataset still in memory? I do this for 6 or 7
| combo boxes and I do
| >| not need the dataset after I bind it.
| >|
| >| Thanks in advance