Database

G

I am using FP 2003 with Windows XP. I created a form to collect data and used the option to send the results to a FP created database and published to my server web site running Windows 2003 Server supporting Access Databases. If I open my web site locally in FP and then click on the database while in folders view it works okay. If I use FP to open my remote/server site and then open the database, it downloads the database to a local FP Temporary directory and then opens it using my local copy of Access. Thinking it may be cached and that is the reason it was not opening from the remote site/server, I think I deleted all the temp. files.

If I go to the site using IE 6 and open the form the info does get added to the database. However, when I want to see the contents I don't think it shoud download to a temp directory first. What am I missing

I would also like to create a replica so all I have to do is Sync with a local replica to have current results without being on-line

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have spent about 15 hours on this and figured it is time to go to the experts

Don

A

Andrew Murray

I believe you should be creating a web interface to be able to open and view
records within the database....use the results wizard in frontpage. This way it
opens online, and displays the data in a web page using ASP/Frontpage extensions.

Don Hale said:
I am using FP 2003 with Windows XP. I created a form to collect data and used
the option to send the results to a FP created database and published to my
server web site running Windows 2003 Server supporting Access Databases. If I
open my web site locally in FP and then click on the database while in folders
view it works okay. If I use FP to open my remote/server site and then open the
database, it downloads the database to a local FP Temporary directory and then
opens it using my local copy of Access. Thinking it may be cached and that is the
reason it was not opening from the remote site/server, I think I deleted all the
temp. files.
If I go to the site using IE 6 and open the form the info does get added to the
database. However, when I want to see the contents I don't think it shoud
download to a temp directory first. What am I missing?
I would also like to create a replica so all I have to do is Sync with a local
replica to have current results without being on-line.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have spent about 15 hours on this and
figured it is time to go to the experts.

G

Thanks. I knew about the interface but I thought FR handled the interface since the DB was created within FP. I don't want to display the results on the web but have a local copy that can be automatically updated and accessed when offline, thus the reason for replicating.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You need to download the database to open it or you need to create ASP Admin pages to view the data.

If you open the site on the remote server in FP / Access, then you lock the database, which then
stop it from being available for your site visitors.

FP open everything via the FP temp folder, and open a database in this manner can corrupt the
database, as the database is not update until you have actually closed the Access application, not
just closing the open database.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Don Hale said:
I am using FP 2003 with Windows XP. I created a form to collect data and used the option to send
the results to a FP created database and published to my server web site running Windows 2003 Server
supporting Access Databases. If I open my web site locally in FP and then click on the database
while in folders view it works okay. If I use FP to open my remote/server site and then open the
database, it downloads the database to a local FP Temporary directory and then opens it using my
local copy of Access. Thinking it may be cached and that is the reason it was not opening from the
remote site/server, I think I deleted all the temp. files.
If I go to the site using IE 6 and open the form the info does get added to the database. However,
when I want to see the contents I don't think it shoud download to a temp directory first. What am I
missing?
I would also like to create a replica so all I have to do is Sync with a local replica to have
current results without being on-line.

G

Thanks Thomas. Some good info there I did not know

I never planned to open the database regularly from FP or directly on the website so locking out others is not a concern

My purpose for opening it on the host is to make the web site copy a Design Master and create a replica located in a local folder in my computer so I can sync the two as needed. I really have no need to display the results on the web site at this time. If that changes I will certainly use your suggestion

When I would open the web sute database in FP and create a Design Master and Replica I end up with the Design Master in my local web and the Replica on the web. I want just the reverse. This is when I discovered I was actually using a database in the FP Temp directory and not on the web. When I go through IE 6 to the web site and try to open it this way it does not open even though the server is suppose to support Access. The Web Host tech people open it with no problem. I may try it from another computer

I have read a lot of your responses and think you are doing a wonderful service for those of us less computer lierate.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You really can't sync them in this manner over the web. Just open the live site in FP, and then
export the database to your desktop, or you can use FTP to download a copy of the database.

The server does support the Access database as a data store, however the Access application is
generally not installed on the server, and if it is, it is license for use by anyone other the then
the web host tech support personnel.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Don Hale said:
Thanks Thomas. Some good info there I did not know.

I never planned to open the database regularly from FP or directly on the website so locking out others is not a concern.

My purpose for opening it on the host is to make the web site copy a Design Master and create a
replica located in a local folder in my computer so I can sync the two as needed. I really have no
need to display the results on the web site at this time. If that changes I will certainly use your
suggestion.
When I would open the web sute database in FP and create a Design Master and Replica I end up with
the Design Master in my local web and the Replica on the web. I want just the reverse. This is when
I discovered I was actually using a database in the FP Temp directory and not on the web. When I go
through IE 6 to the web site and try to open it this way it does not open even though the server is
suppose to support Access. The Web Host tech people open it with no problem. I may try it from
another computer.
I have read a lot of your responses and think you are doing a wonderful service for those of us
less computer lierate.

G

Well, I now know why I spent all that time spinning my wheels

Thanks. BTW, I just read your BIO at the MVP website. I started with Western Electric Installation in 1964 which later became AT&T before Lucent. I retired last year. Most of my time was spent in the Quality Org. and I am very familiar with Bellcore/TelCordia. In fact, the company I am forming is an Installation Workmanship quality related business named TelQuality. I was looking on the TelCordia website for GR1275 issue 5 since many Telecommunications companies defer to this standard. The cost steered me away so I will have to require and customer we do inspections for provide us the standard they are using

The Export to my computer was an option I missed. I like that better. Thought - since you said FP downloads everything first, couldn't I just do a Save As to my local folder once it opens since it is already in a local temp direcory?

Thanks.....

A

Andrew Murray

in that case, you download the mdb file and open it locally in ms access, not
frontpage. frontpage is not a database application; ms access is. Frontpage
does create the ASP pages (through the interface/results wizards) to open, view,
edit, delete and create records to the mdb file.

Don Hale said:
Thanks. I knew about the interface but I thought FR handled the interface since
the DB was created within FP. I don't want to display the results on the web but
have a local copy that can be automatically updated and accessed when offline,
thus the reason for replicating.

G

Tom - I just tried your suggestion. The Export feature exports a table, etc. but not the database unless I did something wrong. However, I can go to database utilities and use the backup utility to place a copy in my local folder

Don

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Don,

You want to always avoid open the database in Access from within the FP environment, as doing so can
corrupt the database. It is really best to either export the database to your desktop from the live
site or use a FTP application to download the database.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Don Hale said:
Well, I now know why I spent all that time spinning my wheels!

Thanks. BTW, I just read your BIO at the MVP website. I started with Western Electric Installation
in 1964 which later became AT&T before Lucent. I retired last year. Most of my time was spent in the
Quality Org. and I am very familiar with Bellcore/TelCordia. In fact, the company I am forming is an
Installation Workmanship quality related business named TelQuality. I was looking on the TelCordia
website for GR1275 issue 5 since many Telecommunications companies defer to this standard. The cost
steered me away so I will have to require and customer we do inspections for provide us the standard
they are using.
The Export to my computer was an option I missed. I like that better. Thought - since you said FP
downloads everything first, couldn't I just do a Save As to my local folder once it opens since it
is already in a local temp direcory?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, open the remote site in FP, then open the fpdb folder, select the database, then FP: File Menu |
Export

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Don Hale said:
Tom - I just tried your suggestion. The Export feature exports a table, etc. but not the database
unless I did something wrong. However, I can go to database utilities and use the backup utility to
place a copy in my local folder.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Don,

What was the URL to the MVP website where you read my Bio?

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Don Hale said:
Well, I now know why I spent all that time spinning my wheels!

Thanks. BTW, I just read your BIO at the MVP website. I started with Western Electric Installation
in 1964 which later became AT&T before Lucent. I retired last year. Most of my time was spent in the
Quality Org. and I am very familiar with Bellcore/TelCordia. In fact, the company I am forming is an
Installation Workmanship quality related business named TelQuality. I was looking on the TelCordia
website for GR1275 issue 5 since many Telecommunications companies defer to this standard. The cost
steered me away so I will have to require and customer we do inspections for provide us the standard
they are using.
The Export to my computer was an option I missed. I like that better. Thought - since you said FP
downloads everything first, couldn't I just do a Save As to my local folder once it opens since it
is already in a local temp direcory?

G

Thomas

I can't find it now. Will look again tomorrow

There is a picture of you as a baby in the upper left hand corner and you commented this is the only picture you like and detail your accomplishments with TelCordia.

G

Well, I had to find it again before sleeping. Your name is mentioned and is the link in the intro., see below

http://www.ycoln-resources.com/frontpage

One of our goals at WEBMASTER Resources™ is to help Microsoft® FrontPage® users get the most out of the application, in the least amount of time and with the least amount of effort. Thomas A. Rowe, is a Microsoft® FrontPage® MVP (most valued professional).

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

You can see others of the MVP gang here:

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010942421033&CTT=98

Not all of them are listed though.

| Well, I had to find it again before sleeping. Your name is mentioned and is the link in the intro., see below.
|
| http://www.ycoln-resources.com/frontpage/
|
| One of our goals at WEBMASTER Resourcesâ"¢ is to help Microsoft® FrontPage® users get the most out of the application, in the least amount of time and with the least amount of effort. Thomas A. Rowe, is a Microsoft® FrontPage® MVP (most valued professional).
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, that is on my site, not the MS MVP site

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Don Hale said:
Well, I had to find it again before sleeping. Your name is mentioned and is the link in the intro., see below.

http://www.ycoln-resources.com/frontpage/

One of our goals at WEBMASTER ResourcesT is to help Microsoft® FrontPage® users get the most out
of the application, in the least amount of time and with the least amount of effort. Thomas A. Rowe,
is a Microsoft® FrontPage® MVP (most valued professional).

Ask a Question