Data Validation List problem

S

Snowfire

I can create a list from an adjacent sheet no problem and it works...but when I save exit and restart the workbook the drop-down is not active. The drop down icon is on the cell but will not work. The settings are also gone when I re-enter the range again only to loose it when I exit and re-open... any ideas?

C

Claus Busch

Hi,

Am Thu, 15 Aug 2013 07:09:44 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Snowfire:
I can create a list from an adjacent sheet no problem and it works...but when I save exit and restart the workbook the drop-down is not active. The drop down icon is on the cell but will not work. The settings are also gone when I re-enter the range again only to loose it when I exit and re-open... any ideas?

what Excel version do you use? In xl2007 or earlier you have to name the
list if it is not on the same sheet as the validation.

Regards
Claus B.

S

Snowfire

I can create a list from an adjacent sheet no problem and it works...but when I save exit and restart the workbook the drop-down is not active. The drop down icon is on the cell but will not work. The settings are also gonewhen I re-enter the range again only to loose it when I exit and re-open.... any ideas?

Cheers for the reply Claus. I am using Excel 2010 the settings dialog does not have an option to enter a named list just cell references.

G

GS

Cheers for the reply Claus. I am using Excel 2010 the settings dialog does
not have an option to enter a named list just cell references.

A named range IS a cell ref.

--
Garry

Free uenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

S

Snowfire

How dumb of me! YES works fine.... cheers gents. Why they let you select a range of cells and label the config box with a "valid" reference without a warning this should be a named range.....??

G

GS

How dumb of me! YES works fine.... cheers gents. Why they let you select a
range of cells and label the config box with a "valid" reference without a
warning this should be a named range.....??

Well.., using a ref to a named range is optional but is always a 'best
practice' when your DV list is stored on another sheet. In this case
the defined name should have global (workbook level) scope. Otherwise,
lists stored on the same sheet as the DV cells should be local (sheet
level) scope!

--
Garry

Free uenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Ask a Question