Data Labels Macro

This has also been posted on the Mr. Excel boards but has not generated any
response. I am working on modifing a chart using VB. I recorded the macro
at first and got the following lines of code:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).Points(1).DataLabel.Select
Selection.AutoScaleFont = True
With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 10
.ColorIndex = 2
.Background = xlTransparent
End With
With Selection
.Position = xlLabelPositionInsideBase
End With

When I try to rerun this code without any modification, I get the following
error:

Select method of DataLabels class failed.

I looked on a few boards and modified the code to look like this:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection (1)
.HasDataLabels = True
.ApplyDataLabels Type:=xlValue
Selection.AutoScaleFont = True
With .DataLabels.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 10
.ColorIndex = 2
End With
With .DataLabels
.Position = xlLabelInsideBase
End With

When i run this code, I get this error:

Invalid or unqualified reference

Is there some reference library that I need to select or something I need to
change in the code? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kristin

Jim Cone

Kristin,
What are you trying to do?
Does the chart have data labels and you want to change something about them?
Are you trying to add data labels?
Something else?
What version of XL are you using?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Kristin"
wrote in message
[...]

I am writing a macro to create the chart from scratch and place the data
labels on the chart. The rest of the code works great. It hangs up where it
is supposed to add the data labels and do some formatting to the label. And
I am using XL 03.

Jim Cone

Kristin,
You needed another With statement so the labels would know
to which series they belonged.
The Position constant was incorrect.
AutoScaling belongs to the Labels not the Series.
'--
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1)
.HasDataLabels = True
.ApplyDataLabels Type:=xlValue
With .DataLabels.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 10
.ColorIndex = 2
End With
With .DataLabels
.AutoScaleFont = True
.Position = xlLabelPositionInsideBase
End With
End With
'--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(Check out the Chart Data Labels add-in)

"Kristin"
wrote in message
I am writing a macro to create the chart from scratch and place the data
labels on the chart. The rest of the code works great. It hangs up where it
is supposed to add the data labels and do some formatting to the label. And
I am using XL 03.

Thanks. That did the trick.