"Data Environment" for VB.net ?

P. Prosper

Hello,
Sorry for the cross-posting, I first posted this message to the vb.6 NG
(wrong group) <g>.

Are there any add-in or tools out there (for VB.NET ) that would allow one
to drag and drop database fields onto a form. (similar to the
DataEnvironment in vb.6) ?

I am looking for one that could set the validation rules for each TextBox
based on the definition of the fields in the tables

I know there is the Data Form Wizard but that's not what I need.

TIA

CJ Taylor

Yeah, you want to look at DataAdapters and Datasets, which are all part of
the ADO.NET package.

However they have completly different designers, because after all the .NET
environment is completly different, there is no separate DataEnvironment
(which I did like but I like DA's more now).

Also, remember ADO.NET is disconnected where as DE's were connected
recordsets. (the connection was kept alive through the life of the
recordset), ado.net does not.

HTH,
CJ

William Ryan eMVP

Just to add onto what CJ said, you are now disconnected. You can define a
LOT of validation in your dataset, but you aren't hooked to the db so you
won't necessarily know if your value is ok or not until you submit the
update (although most of the stuff, like types, autoincrement , allownull
etc can be done client side).

P. Prosper

Thanks for your quick answers,
What I am looking for, is the ability to drag and drop table fields onto the
form. Couldn't find a way to do that with the dataset.

William Ryan eMVP

Wait until Whidbey ;-). It's still pretty easy though, drag the dataset and
just set the databindings, it's very easy.

P. Prosper

Guess I'll have to wait :)

Tx william

P. Prosper said:
Thanks for your quick answers,
What I am looking for, is the ability to drag and drop table fields onto the
form. Couldn't find a way to do that with the dataset.
define
"CJ Taylor" <[cege] at [tavayn] dit commmmm> wrote in message
[...]

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Prosper,
In addition to the other comments:

I use a Component, as it has a visual designer!

Use 'Project - Add Component' to create a new Component in your project.

Drag & drop your connection, commands, and data adapters to the design
surface. Or directly from Server Explorer.

Use the properties window to modify properties of the above elements.

The only downside of using a Component over the Data Environment is you need
to manually add code for any methods you want your Component to support,
where as the Data Environment added code automatically for you. I normally
make the methods a little higher level then the Data Environments, so its
not a big deal for me... For example I may have single Fill & Update
methods, that call Fill & Update on each Data Adapter in the component. Or I
may add individual Fill & Update or GetReader methods. It really depends on
the requirements for the project...

If you double click on the Component later you are back in the same visual
designer. If you click 'View Code' on the Component you see the code...

Hope this helps
Jay