dagnabit! help needed with Google Toolbar

Susan Bugher

I'm trying (and I use the word advisedly) to update the PL2005 Google
Toolbar description. I've managed to assemble the info for the IE
version - can't get a file name for the Firefox version - perhaps
because I'm not using Firefox. It looks like it may be an automatic
install when the download is complete. . .

arghh. . . and double arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .

HELP! can anyone find me the NAME of the cotton-picking file?

---------

http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/index.html

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Google_Toolbar_for_Firefox/996950052/2

Google Toolbar for Firefox 1.0.20050923
Released: September 23, 2005
File Size: 357 KB

----------

TIA :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

The Six Million Dollar Man

Susan said:
I'm trying (and I use the word advisedly) to update the PL2005 Google
Toolbar description. I've managed to assemble the info for the IE
version - can't get a file name for the Firefox version - perhaps
because I'm not using Firefox. It looks like it may be an automatic
install when the download is complete. . .

arghh. . . and double arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .

HELP! can anyone find me the NAME of the cotton-picking file?

Clicking on the download button in the above page brings you to the
"Terms and Conditions" page located at
http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/install.html There is a button here
that says Agree and Install which leads to the actual file, located at
http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/extensions/toolbar/google-toolbar.xpi

Given the concerns of some that the toolbar can be intrusive, I would
suggest that you only link to the "Terms and Conditions" page. This will
allow all users an opportunity to know exactly what they are downloading
and installing.

Susan Bugher

The said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Clicking on the download button in the above page brings you to the
"Terms and Conditions" page located at
http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/install.html There is a button here
that says Agree and Install which leads to the actual file, located at
http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/extensions/toolbar/google-toolbar.xpi

I may lead you there, not me though. . . and if I click on your
"download" link (I gather it is a download link for *you*) nothing
happens, zero, nada, blank screen. . . I tried another "download" link
before I posted - it produced the same results -> none. . . :(

http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/996950052/2/google-toolbar.xpi

Silly me, I didn't realize that "google-toolbar.xpi" was the toolbar's
FILE NAME - don't recall seeing the .xpi extension before.

Now I know - thank you very much. :) :) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

The Six Million Dollar Man

Susan said:
I may lead you there, not me though. . . and if I click on your
"download" link (I gather it is a download link for *you*) nothing
happens, zero, nada, blank screen. . . I tried another "download" link
before I posted - it produced the same results -> none. . . :(

http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/996950052/2/google-toolbar.xpi

Silly me, I didn't realize that "google-toolbar.xpi" was the toolbar's
FILE NAME - don't recall seeing the .xpi extension before.

Google auto-detects which browser is being used when the Google Toolbar
is requested for download. You must be using Firefox to see the Firefox
extension. Similarly you must be using IE or an IE shell to see the IE
version. Google probably does it this way to prevent users from
accidentally downloading a toolbar that is incompatible for their browser.

The ".xpi" filename applies to all Firefox extensions.

Lou

The said:
Google auto-detects which browser is being used when the Google Toolbar
is requested for download. You must be using Firefox to see the Firefox
extension. Similarly you must be using IE or an IE shell to see the IE
version. Google probably does it this way to prevent users from
accidentally downloading a toolbar that is incompatible for their browser.

The ".xpi" filename applies to all Firefox extensions.

If Susan is using firfox she can get the google bar from mozilla (somewhere).

Lou

The Six Million Dollar Man

If Susan is using firfox she can get the google bar from mozilla (somewhere).

She isn't.

From her original post "can't get a file name for the Firefox version -
perhaps because I'm not using Firefox"

Susan Bugher

Google auto-detects which browser is being used when the Google Toolbar
is requested for download. You must be using Firefox to see the Firefox
extension. Similarly you must be using IE or an IE shell to see the IE
version. Google probably does it this way to prevent users from
accidentally downloading a toolbar that is incompatible for their browser.

Gathering update information for the Pricelessware web pages is a real
PITA sometimes. Google is a prime example. Google supposedly helps you
find information easily. Guess what, the shoemaker's children have no
shoes. . .

If I want to find information about the latest versions of the Google
Toolbar I have to look elsewhere - their version information page is
updated at irregular intervals and it doesn't show release dates. ATM
it's inaccurate - as it has been *every* time I've checked it this year.

"Google knows best" seems to be their new motto.

http://toolbar.google.com/ works in IE - it automatically redirects to

http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/index.html if I'm using Mozilla

Presumably Firefox also triggers a redirct, dunno what happens with
other browsers.

Cheesh - I want to make my own choices - not have them made for me by
big brother. Google emulating Microsoft - what a sad state of affairs. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

Gathering update information for the Pricelessware web pages is a real
PITA sometimes. Google is a prime example. Google supposedly helps you
find information easily. Guess what, the shoemaker's children have no
shoes. . .

Not really, Susan ... web mining is pretty close to rocket science -
or maybe 'voodoo' would be a better word. (Not that I'm all that much
better at it than most, but my wife is an expert. If she can't find
it, and pretty quickly, it's probably not indexed anywhere.)
If I want to find information about the latest versions of the Google
Toolbar I have to look elsewhere - their version information page is
updated at irregular intervals and it doesn't show release dates. ATM
it's inaccurate - as it has been *every* time I've checked it this year.

Fourth hit from Google on "google toolbar" +versions

"Google knows best" seems to be their new motto.
http://toolbar.google.com/ works in IE - it automatically redirects to
Presumably Firefox also triggers a redirct, dunno what happens with
other browsers.

Yes - to the same page.
Cheesh - I want to make my own choices - not have them made for me by
big brother. Google emulating Microsoft - what a sad state of affairs. . .

If you use IE to download a firefox version of the toolbar (or use
Mozilla to download an IE version) it's not going to help you much.
It's like Chevy supplying you with 15 inch tires for your new car. You
want to be able to select 17 inch tires? They won't work.

Susan Bugher

You seem to have missed the point -> Google does not furnish good
information about their own product.
If you use IE to download a firefox version of the toolbar (or use
Mozilla to download an IE version) it's not going to help you much.
It's like Chevy supplying you with 15 inch tires for your new car. You
want to be able to select 17 inch tires? They won't work.

Good grief - I don't want to DOWNLOAD any version!

I want to find the product information I need to update the
Pricelessware web pages. Most authors show the information I need
*somewhere* on their web pages - Google does not.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

You seem to have missed the point -> Google does not furnish good
information about their own product.

I don't either - on my web page. The history's in the readme file. I
don't know whether Google has any equivalent, though.

But, remember, most freeware sites are run as a hobby - Google runs
their site as a profit center. Totally different philosophy.
I want to find the product information I need to update the
Pricelessware web pages. Most authors show the information I need
*somewhere* on their web pages

Version history? I would say "some", or even "many" - not "most".

Susan Bugher

Al said:
I don't either - on my web page. The history's in the readme file. I
don't know whether Google has any equivalent, though.

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/?quick=versioninfo

however, if you want *good* info look elsewhere - for instance:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Google_Toolbar_for_Internet_Explorer/996950052/1
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Google_Toolbar_for_Firefox/996950052/2
But, remember, most freeware sites are run as a hobby - Google runs
their site as a profit center. Totally different philosophy.

dunno as I agree with that. . .

and, remember, Google is supposed to be the information guru. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

And Microsoft is supposed to produce software, not <expletive
deleted>. :)

Yup. :) I sure wish they'd both do what they claim to do and leave the
mind reading (we *know* what you want so we'll just do it) to psychics.
;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware