Custom Task View

G

I would like to create a custom task view and make it available to everyone
on the network. I have no problems creating the view I want, but don't know
where/how the views are stored. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to go
about this.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Views are stored as hidden items. It's not obvious how, but you can use a PST file to back up your views and copy or move them to another machine . Here's a link to an article I wrote on how to manage this:

http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=8650

If you are not connecting to an Exchange server, you will not be able to use the quick-and-dirty method and will need to add some additional steps to use the other technique. Specifically, you will need to to make a copy of any folder-specific view as a general view applying to all [mail, contact, etc.] folders. Use the steps described in the topic on restoring views. Then you will be able to back up those general views by using the backup technique outlined.

G

Thanks for the info Sue...Looks like what I need, but I guess I have to
subscribe to see the full article?
--
Thanks...
Adri

Sue Mosher said:
Views are stored as hidden items. It's not obvious how, but you can use a PST file to back up your views and copy or move them to another machine . Here's a link to an article I wrote on how to manage this:

If you are not connecting to an Exchange server, you will not be able to use the quick-and-dirty method and will need to add some additional steps to use the other technique. Specifically, you will need to to make a copy of any folder-specific view as a general view applying to all [mail, contact, etc.] folders. Use the steps described in the topic on restoring views. Then you will be able to back up those general views by using the backup technique outlined.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Drat. I really wish they wouldn't go back and forth on their policy on which articles are publicly available (as that one used to be). Basically, it's something like this:

1.. In a .pst file named Views Backup file, create top-level folders named Mail Views, Contact Views, Appointment Views, Task Views, Journal Views, and Note Views—in other words, one folder for each type of Outlook item.
2.. Start with mail folder views by switching to the Mail Views folder.
3.. Choose View, Current View, Define Views.
4.. In the Define Views dialog box, choose any custom view, click Copy, delete Copy of from the beginning of the name, and set the view to be used on This folder, visible to everyone. (Hint: You can easily tell custom views from the built-in views. The Delete button in the Define Views dialog box is visible only when you select a custom view.)
5.. Repeat step 4 for any other common Mail folder views.
6.. If you have any folder-specific private views, choose File, Folder, Copy Folder Design. In the Copy Design From dialog box, select the mail folder that has some specific private views, select the Forms & Views check box, and click OK.
7.. Repeat steps 2 through 7 with views for each other type of folder (e.g., Contact, Appointment).
Take the .pst file to another machine, open it in Outlook, and reverse the process to apply the views on the other machine.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Adri said:
--
Thanks...
Adri

Sue Mosher said:

Adri said:
about this.

G

Thanks so much, I really appreciate this. I'll give it a try the next time
I'm in the office.
--
Thanks...
Adri

Sue Mosher said:
Drat. I really wish they wouldn't go back and forth on their policy on which articles are publicly available (as that one used to be). Basically, it's something like this:

1.. In a .pst file named Views Backup file, create top-level folders named Mail Views, Contact Views, Appointment Views, Task Views, Journal Views, and Note Views—in other words, one folder for each type of Outlook item.
2.. Start with mail folder views by switching to the Mail Views folder.
3.. Choose View, Current View, Define Views.
4.. In the Define Views dialog box, choose any custom view, click Copy, delete Copy of from the beginning of the name, and set the view to be used on This folder, visible to everyone. (Hint: You can easily tell custom views from the built-in views. The Delete button in the Define Views dialog box is visible only when you select a custom view.)
5.. Repeat step 4 for any other common Mail folder views.
6.. If you have any folder-specific private views, choose File, Folder, Copy Folder Design. In the Copy Design From dialog box, select the mail folder that has some specific private views, select the Forms & Views check box, and click OK.
7.. Repeat steps 2 through 7 with views for each other type of folder (e.g., Contact, Appointment).
Take the .pst file to another machine, open it in Outlook, and reverse the process to apply the views on the other machine.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Adri said:
--
Thanks...
Adri

Sue Mosher said:

about this.

Ask a Question