Custom folder name & not 'Documents And Settings'

G

Greetings all.

I think I'll be switching to Windows XP, depends how an older computer handles it that I got from someone who didn't need it anymore. My question is about the folder 'Documents And Settings'.

I'm experienced with the setup process of Win2000 being able to use a file with answers/info for the setup process, such as programs to include and the time zone (regional info) and certain networking components to include/exclude, etc. etc.. One of the pieces of info that can be included is the name that you want to call your 'Documents And Settings' folder, so I always used my own custom name to shorten down the length (the name 'Profiles' was always my favorite).

I wasn't able to keep using Win2000 because I was using an older computer. The computer I have now isn't quite good enough for WinXP, but it's very possible that the computer I'll be switching to will be able to run it satisfactorily and efficiently. I'll use it for a week or so when I get that computer up and running, and keep using WinXP if there are no problems.

From the little I've learned, so far anyway, about the WinXP setup process, there is no such option, a.k.a. freedom, to specify your own custom name, but I am hoping that I'm mistaken and simply haven't yet come across the info.. Besides that question being a reason for this post, I want to ask about an idea I have for changing that folder's name if it can't be done during setup. Here is my idea, anyone with experience or knowledge about how WinXP would react to this, please let me know...

1. From in WinXP, use Regedit to search for and export all keys that contain the folder name 'Documents And Settings'.
2. Use a word processor or text editor to combine all export files into one file, and change all occurrences of the folder name 'Documents And Settings' to whatever name I'd like.
3. Close *all* non-essential programs, also using the Task Manager to close non-essential programs that aren't in the Taskbar or System Tray.
4. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer or any other regular method, rename the folder 'Documents And Settings' to whatever name I'd like (i.e., the name used in step 2 above).
5. Reboot into DOS/Command Prompt.
6. Use the DOS version of Regedit to import the single registry file created and edited in step 2 above.
7. Reboot into WinXP.

My reason for thinking that importing the registry file from DOS is necessary, is that I tried doing this with Win2000 but doing all of it from in Win2000. Some portions of the Registry were automatically changed/updated back to the folder name 'Documents And Settings' (and another folder with that name was created, or maybe the same folder was automatically renamed back, I can't remember now) simply because of Win2000 running (i.e., doing this task from within Win2000 as opposed to DOS) and that being a system folder that is constantly being read from and written to, and therefore updated by Win2000 to make sure that the name is correct.

Any input will be greatly appreciated (especially if that folder can be custom-named during setup).

Thanks very much,

Kirby D.

P.S. My e-mail address has been changed since receiving my passport account. It is the word 'Lifes' and the word 'graces' as one word, the '@' character, then 'sgcglobal' and a period and then the word 'net'. My current address is written out this lengthy way because of the automated address scanning that happens in newsgroups.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The "Documents and Settings" are shell folders and cannot be renamed during setup.
Attempting to rename shell folders will lead to future issues, such as Windows Update
not being able to install updates because expected system files do not appear to be present.
Since Windows XP is not based on MS-DOS, there is no DOS to boot into.
Learn to accept the new Windows XP file hierarchy and naming schema.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Greetings all.
|
| I think I'll be switching to Windows XP, depends how an older computer handles it that I got from someone
who didn't need it anymore. My question is about the folder 'Documents And Settings'.
|
| I'm experienced with the setup process of Win2000 being able to use a file with answers/info for the setup
process, such as programs to include and the time zone (regional info) and certain networking components to
include/exclude, etc. etc.. One of the pieces of info that can be included is the name that you want to call
your 'Documents And Settings' folder, so I always used my own custom name to shorten down the length (the name
'Profiles' was always my favorite).
|
| I wasn't able to keep using Win2000 because I was using an older computer. The computer I have now isn't
quite good enough for WinXP, but it's very possible that the computer I'll be switching to will be able to run
it satisfactorily and efficiently. I'll use it for a week or so when I get that computer up and running, and
keep using WinXP if there are no problems.
|
| From the little I've learned, so far anyway, about the WinXP setup process, there is no such option, a.k.a.
freedom, to specify your own custom name, but I am hoping that I'm mistaken and simply haven't yet come across
the info.. Besides that question being a reason for this post, I want to ask about an idea I have for
changing that folder's name if it can't be done during setup. Here is my idea, anyone with experience or
knowledge about how WinXP would react to this, please let me know...
|
| 1. From in WinXP, use Regedit to search for and export all keys that contain the folder name 'Documents And
Settings'.
| 2. Use a word processor or text editor to combine all export files into one file, and change all
occurrences of the folder name 'Documents And Settings' to whatever name I'd like.
| 3. Close *all* non-essential programs, also using the Task Manager to close non-essential programs that
aren't in the Taskbar or System Tray.
| 4. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer or any other regular method, rename the folder 'Documents And
Settings' to whatever name I'd like (i.e., the name used in step 2 above).
| 5. Reboot into DOS/Command Prompt.
| 6. Use the DOS version of Regedit to import the single registry file created and edited in step 2 above.
| 7. Reboot into WinXP.
|
| My reason for thinking that importing the registry file from DOS is necessary, is that I tried doing this
with Win2000 but doing all of it from in Win2000. Some portions of the Registry were automatically
changed/updated back to the folder name 'Documents And Settings' (and another folder with that name was
created, or maybe the same folder was automatically renamed back, I can't remember now) simply because of
Win2000 running (i.e., doing this task from within Win2000 as opposed to DOS) and that being a system folder
that is constantly being read from and written to, and therefore updated by Win2000 to make sure that the name
is correct.
|
| Any input will be greatly appreciated (especially if that folder can be custom-named during setup).
|
| Thanks very much,
|
| Kirby D.
|
| P.S. My e-mail address has been changed since receiving my passport account. It is the word 'Lifes' and
the word 'graces' as one word, the '@' character, then 'sgcglobal' and a period and then the word 'net'. My
current address is written out this lengthy way because of the automated address scanning that happens in
newsgroups.

Ask a Question