Crunch and slow downs

Reaction score
In a topic here Muck said "..The program runs in the background while your computer is switched on, and you can go about your normal daily business without noticing any difference."

Yet under that you said your CPU will run at 100%, if my processor is going at 100% then surely im going to notice a reduction in performance.

Reaction score
The program actually yields, or gives way to other applications - its all about priority... BOINC and WCG are low, wheras most things are normal - being a higher priority, so WCG will stop meaning you wont see a slow down

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The CPU will run at 100%, but the crunching runs at 'low priority' meaning it takes second place to all other tasks. To clarify, it uses unused CPU cycles. :)

You can go about your normal pc stuff, be it games, internet or office work.

Only thing you will notice is the CPU temps going up, Because 100% cpu use will run the CPU hotter than normal, but providing you have decent cooling then it will not be a problem. ;)

Reaction score
I had a feeling that was what it was. Just wanted to make sure.

I'll get either an x2 3800 or a operton 165 in the near future.. with some nice but silent cooling i'll join the club ;).

I wonder how much 24/7 crunching effects the life cycle of a processor?

Ah well, i normally upgrade before the die anyways.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
marleyuk said:
I had a feeling that was what it was. Just wanted to make sure.

I'll get either an x2 3800 or a operton 165 in the near future.. with some nice but silent cooling i'll join the club ;).

I wonder how much 24/7 crunching effects the life cycle of a processor?

Ah well, i normally upgrade before the die anyways.
Hi marleyuk! - I crunch 24/7 with a X2 3800 using the stock AMD cooler - and have never had any heat problems at all :thumb:

It would be good to have you join us - the X2 really does produce excellent results ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What that lot said ... :D

Haven't had a system die through "crunching" yet, the Old Girl get warm, but that's all ... also run 24/7

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi marleyuk! - I crunch 24/7 with a X2 3800 using the stock AMD cooler - and have never had any heat problems at all

Lo mate, im gonna get a ThermalRight headsink with a Silentx 120mm fan on it, probaballly with some arctic silver 5 or what evers the latest. How loud is your stock cooler? what temps are you getting?

Im hoping to build a silent media center with high gaming performance. Just gathering funds now.

Anyone seen any cheap LCD TV's? I wanna have one for my media center and I want it to be High Def, not just say its HD :).

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I don't know how loud it is, as its not a priority for me - but it seems pretty quiet.

CPU temp is 45*C :thumb:

Ask a Question