Creating views from linked servers

G

I have created a linked server to an Oracle database (using the Oracle ODBC driver 8.01.07.00) that I wish to query in SQL Server 2000. My SQL server contains other applications that my web application uses. The web application has a data access layer (a series of classes) which call stored procedures, which in turn call views.

Using Query Analyzer, I can query data with the following:

SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT *
FROM OPENQUERY(PAY_PERS_EXTR, 'Select * from TABLE1') Appointment_Distributions INNER JOIN
OPENQUERY(pay_pers_extr, 'select * from TABLE2') Person ON Appointment_Distributions.EMPLOYEE_ID = Person.EMPLOYEE_ID
ORDER BY Appointment_Distributions.EMP_NAME

My problem is that I'm not able to successfully save a view that contains the results that I wish, using the above syntax. The error is:

ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' ITransactionJoi JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d01b].

Looking this up, I found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;280106

However, I'm using Oracle's driver, not Microsoft's. Any ideas or contacts?

Thanks,

Ask a Question