Creating re-usable document modules for a varying master document

Iain G Mac

I know this topic has been kinda-covered, but I want to open it up
again for a clear scenaroi:

I have a requirement to create a mutable document to deliver a report
over time that covers different aspects of a topic.

The report is formatted, so each section is a twin in structure, and
each section exists as an independent document, to be used in a master
cover document.

Each section has its own heading structure which gives it a level of
formatting.
I will use different sections at different times, and in different
combinations.
So clearly I want the document to be modular.

What I find is if i insert the document as an object ,the section
numbers remain independent to that 'module', then if I 'insert text'
when insetring the object, the image files I have used in the module
are lost...

So I am looking for an effective solution, and am looking into
defining one myself if I get no attention, but first off I don't wnt
to reinvent the wheel, so any help would be vastly appreciated.

Bests,
Iain MacGranthin

Iain G Mac

I know this topic has been kinda-covered, but I want to open it up
I might add, it used to be possible to insert a file and this would
work fine, with section numbers updated etc, but now this seems less
straightforward

Stefan Blom

You can use the INCLUDETEXT field. Such fields can be added via the Insert File dialog box. To display the dialog box in Word 2007 or 2010, click Insert tab | Object | Text from File (it's a very confusing place to put that command).

See also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/includetextfields.htm.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP