Creating LEGACY_NULL Via Registry Script

Discussion in 'Windows XP Embedded' started by Frank Natoli, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. Frank Natoli

    Frank Natoli Guest

    www.xpefiles.com has a post to create a WinXPe NUL device using the
    below registry script. RegEdt32.exe is able to create the Class data,
    then fails on the LEGACY_NULL data. A C++ program of my own devise
    fails in the same place with "access denied". Yes, I have admin rights.
    Although using T/D to build a WinXPe image with NUL is the "best"
    solution, that is problematic in my context because (1) my WinXPe
    component database strangely does not contain NULL.SYS nor LEGACY_NULL
    nor anything relevant to NUL, and (2) the system experiencing this
    problem [using Apache web services] is locked in a secure location and
    changing its WinXPe compact flash will be a royal pain. What might be
    preventing the below REG data from being imported?

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}]

    "Class"="LegacyDriver"
    @="Non-Plug and Play Drivers"
    "NoDisplayClass"="1"
    "SilentInstall"="1"
    "NoInstallClass"="1"
    "EnumPropPages32"="SysSetup.Dll,LegacyDriverPropPageProvider"
    "Icon"="-19"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL]
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL\0000]

    "Service"="Null"
    "Legacy"=dword:00000001
    "ConfigFlags"=dword:00000020
    "Class"="LegacyDriver"
    "ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
    "DeviceDesc"="Null"
    "Capabilities"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL\0000\LogConf]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL\0000\Control]

    "ActiveService"="Null"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Null]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Group"="Base"
    "Start"=dword:00000001
    "Tag"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Null\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_NULL\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    Copy null.sys on %systemdrive%\system32\drivers

    Reboot

    Frank Natoli, Oct 1, 2006

  2. There is a Null Device Driver component in the XPe Database. It has been
    there at least since SP1. Is this soemthing you are looking for?

    Regards,

    Sean Liming
    www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
    XP Embedded Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental
    Toolkit

    Sean Liming \(eMVP\), Oct 2, 2006

  3. Frank Natoli

    steves Guest

    I notice you have "ControlSet001" in the first key and
    "CurrentControlSet" in the others, which probably doesn't matter,
    but....

    I would guess that the Enum\Root key is already present, but you could
    try adding some
    extra statements to make sure the path is fully realized, like this:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL]

    Finally, I exported the same keys from my XPE desktop system. The
    class and service keys are the same as yours, but I have a slight
    differences from yours in the Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL branch, as follows:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NULL\0000]
    "Driver"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}\\0023"

    (All other keys are same as yours)

    Steves

    steves, Oct 3, 2006
  4. Frank Natoli

    dlabs

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Likes Received:
    0
    i had the same problem as the OP. i had to go into regedit and change the permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root so that administrator could have full access. then the script ran fine.

    dlabs, May 3, 2009