Creating a new record from selected fields of existing record

Sue

Hi,

What I need to do is to create a new record in the same
database from an existing record - and I want to specify
which fields' contents are copied across. There is a
command I can add in the form which duplicates the record
to a new record - this generates a new record
incrementing my unique numbering, but it copies the
contents of all the fields - I want to create a new
record that take the content of most of the fields but
not all of them - and ideally I would like to do this
within the form view. Any ideas please??

Thank you,

Sue

Sandra Daigle

Please see my reply in microsoft.public.access.forms.

Rather than posting the same message to more than one group (multiposting)
please cross-post (send the one message to all groups at once). To
Crosspost, put all of the newsgroups into the Newsgroups field in the
message header. In this way, all responses to your post will be available
together, regardless of what group the responder was in, and the rest of us
won't have to read your post multiple times.

See http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm for more information.

Bruce

For those of us who are prevented by paranoid network
administrators from accessing newsgroups (which they see
as chat rooms, and from which view they cannot be
dissuaded), the web based newsreader is the only option.
I would have liked to see the answer, but I do not know
where to look for it, and cannot maintain threads as you
suggest in your posting. In microsoft.public.access.forms
your response is as appears in the quoted part of this
reply. That is to say, it is only an admonishment about
multiposting, not an answer to the actual question about
duplicating only selected fields.

--
Sandra Daigle [Microsoft Access MVP]
Please post all replies to the newsgroup.

Hi,

What I need to do is to create a new record in the same
database from an existing record - and I want to specify
which fields' contents are copied across. There is a
command I can add in the form which duplicates the record
to a new record - this generates a new record
incrementing my unique numbering, but it copies the
contents of all the fields - I want to create a new
record that take the content of most of the fields but
not all of them - and ideally I would like to do this
within the form view. Any ideas please??

Thank you,

Sue

.

Sandra Daigle

Hi Bruce,

My apologies for the error - the answer to Sue's question was posted in
microsoft.public.access.

I understand your frustration with not being able to use NNTP. Crossposting
vs. Multiposting would have helped you too!