Creating a filter for a Yahoogroup

Snapper

I want to create a filter for Yahoogroup emails that I receive. Specifically I
want to be able to mark my own emails that I post to the group as "read" and to
move them to the deleted items folder.

I created one that filters on specific text in the recipient's email address.
ie. part of my email address. Then I filtered on specific text in the subject
field, which is the group that is inserted into the subject text.

I then tell the filter to "delete it". There's a "delete permanently" option.
I'm assuming that the first one merely moves it to the Deleted Items folder. If
so, that's good. At least then I can see if it's working properly before I
change to delete permanently.

It'll be a while before I can see if it's working as it's quiet on weekends. But
should the above filter work?

Thanks.

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

yes, it should work. Either use delete it or move it to a different folder
(can be deleted items or a folder you create to verify its working as
designed) then once you are sure its working, change it to delete or
permanently delete.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky {MVP} wrote...
yes, it should work. Either use delete it or move it to a different folder
(can be deleted items or a folder you create to verify its working as
designed) then once you are sure its working, change it to delete or
permanently delete.

I've got spams going into the Deleted Items folder which have the "delete"
option set in the rule. They show up in the folder list as having unread
messages in there.

I can't find how to make sure that it marks them as read. In any case I changed
the setting from "delete" to "permanently delete". I'll see how that goes.

I have two rules. One for spam. My ISP's mail server inserts "[SPAM]" into a
subject header when it detects spam. The rule looks for this text string in the
header and then applies the rule.

The other rule is to delete my posts to a yahoogroup mailing list. I don't want
to receive my own messages and there doesn't appear to be any setting in the
Yahoogroup to allow this to occur. So I apply a rule.

It was this rule that I was asking you guys about.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky {MVP} wrote...
yes, it should work. Either use delete it or move it to a different folder
(can be deleted items or a folder you create to verify its working as
designed) then once you are sure its working, change it to delete or
permanently delete.

Unfortunately the filter doesn't work. I am still receiving my own posts to that
Yahoogroup in Outlook.

It'd be handy if the Yahoogroup had an option "do not receive own posts".

Another one. How do I filter on domains based on country?

In the filter rules if I enter a domain it asks for the whole domain such as
spamalot.com.it or spammers_r_us.co.uk or spammed.com.nl.

I'd like to be able to filter purely on the .nl, .ru, .it etc. domains but it
won't let me.

I've created a rule to filter on specific text.

eg:

".ru" or ".nl"

as it appears in the dialog box. I don't know if this will work, though.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Which version of Outlook? 2003 and 2007 let you block top levels in tools,
options, junk email.

Use the method here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/rules.htm - use .ru
format, not just ru to reduce the risk of false positives. But I prefer to
do it by charset (to get what the junk filter for domains misses) - look for
words in the header and use the words that identify the charset.
look for GB2312 in the header.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
Which version of Outlook? 2003 and 2007 let you block top levels in tools,
options, junk email.

2003.

I'll check out the link below.

Thanks.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...

That appears to be for a whole domain. I want to filter on the country suffix,
not just the domain.

ie. ALL domains from Russia, the Netherlands, etc. to be filtered on.
format, not just ru to reduce the risk of false positives. But I prefer to
do it by charset (to get what the junk filter for domains misses) - look for
words in the header and use the words that identify the charset.

That's another way. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to view the headers.
Outlook doesn't make it easy to do even the simplest things for those such as
myself who aren't rocket scientists.

I'll keep on looking.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
look for GB2312 in the header.

None of the current spate of spams that I'm getting have this. Below is a sample
with some info edited out.

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:23:40 +0000
From: "Crooked Mangen" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: :blush:)

Brian Tillman

Snapper said:
That appears to be for a whole domain. I want to filter on the
country suffix, not just the domain.

ie. ALL domains from Russia, the Netherlands, etc. to be filtered on.

Actions>Junk E-mail>Junk E-mail Options>International>Blocked Top-Level
Domain List.

Snapper

Brian Tillman wrote...
Actions>Junk E-mail>Junk E-mail Options>International>Blocked Top-Level
Domain List.

My copy of Outlook 2003 doesn't have an "International" option. Just tabs for
"Safe Senders", "Options", "Safe Recipients", "Blocked Senders".

And under Options it has various levels of protection or filtering.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
so, just use the method to enter just the .ru part.

When I tried that it told me that I had entered the address incorrectly and that
it was looking for "domain.com" or "(e-mail address removed)" formats.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
I'll have to check it out.

Do you have the latest updates for Outlook 2003 installed?

Dunno. I'll have to check. It came "pre-installed" on the computer. I've not
bothered with updates as so far, general operation has been fine. And I've only
just migrated over from Eudora Pro after using that email client since 1995 or
so.

Whatever, under "Help/About" there is nothing about any service packs. So
presumably it's hasn't been upgraded.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
I'll have to check it out.

Do you have the latest updates for Outlook 2003 installed?

I just installed SP3. the international thing is there now. I have applied it to
the few countries that appear in the email addresses. I'll add to them as I go.

Thanks.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
Which version of Outlook? 2003 and 2007 let you block top levels in tools,
options, junk email.

Since upgrading OL2003 to SP3 it now allows me to filter on top level country
domains. It has also fixed another bug, if that's what it is, that when I plug
the PDA in, or if it's already plugged in and I turn the PC on, an error message
used to pop up saying taht Outlook has to close or something (and a checkbox
asking if i want to send an error report to MS) and do I wish to restart
Outlook?. That problem seems to have disappeared

Also, if I closed Outlook and the PDA was connected, OL would sit in the system
tray. If I clicked on it to open it it wouldn't. When I disconnected the PDA
then OL would close.

That problem has also gone away.

As for the filters, It's junking a couple of legit ones. However, I still can't
get OL to mark them as read. As when they're dumped into the junk mail folder or
the deleted items folder the folder is then bolded to indicate unread emails.

I'll figure it out eventually.

Brian Tillman

Snapper said:
Also, if I closed Outlook and the PDA was connected, OL would sit in
the system tray. If I clicked on it to open it it wouldn't. When I
disconnected the PDA then OL would close.

That's not a problem, that's normal. The PDA sync software must load your
mail profile in order to be able to sync. When a mail profile is open, the
Outlook icon will be in the system tray. You don't want it any other way.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

As for the filters, It's junking a couple of legit ones. However, I still
can't
get OL to mark them as read. As when they're dumped into the junk mail
folder or
the deleted items folder the folder is then bolded to indicate unread
emails.

Outlook doesn't have the capability to mark junk mail as read automatically.
If you use rules to delete mail, it can mark them as read as part of the
rule. Choose the Actions for delete and mark as read.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Snapper

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote...
Outlook doesn't have the capability to mark junk mail as read automatically.
If you use rules to delete mail, it can mark them as read as part of the
rule. Choose the Actions for delete and mark as read.

That's what I did. Doesn't seem to be working.

I'll keep fiddling with it. I'm sure that I'll eventually get it.

:-]

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Delete and mark as read works in my copy of outlook 2003... what type of
email acct do you have? I tested it on a pop3 account - I don't think mark
as read works reliably on IMAP.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)