Create Master Fax like this?

Stuart

Say I need a Master Fax template, where the entire fax
will (for now) occupy one A4 portrait page, and where the 1st quarter of the
page will be filled with "who it's from, who it's to, Company logo and
address etc" and
where the last quarter of the page will be filled with details concerning
such things as Internal and External distribution (who gets a copy, etc).

In principle, can I open the template and (assuming there's a way to also
lock/protect the top and bottom quarters)
be able to enter text into the middle section of the page
AND be able to freely format sections of that text (ie font, font size,
bold, underline etc)?

Regards.

TF

Possibly. It all depends on what you want to happen when the centre editable
section is full. Also, which version of Word would help.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: In principle, can I open the template and (assuming there's a way to also
: lock/protect the top and bottom quarters)
: be able to enter text into the middle section of the page
: AND be able to freely format sections of that text (ie font, font size,
: bold, underline etc)?
:
: Regards.
:
:
:

Stuart

Thanks for your reply.
Office 2003 (Small Business Edition) ..... apologies!

Background:
I have some knowledge of Excel and Excel VBA, but
little as a user of Word, and next to nothing of Word
VBA.

In Excel, I cannot find a way to permit a user to create multiple text
formats within a textbox, merged range etc
......except, perhaps, by reading in the body of the text,
one character at a time...... a bit overkill, methinks !

So I suspect my old Excel addin is now pretty much redundant (Sorry, I meant
'archieved').
In that addin, I populated the first qtr of the form with a combination of
labels and textboxes, eg:
LbFrom TbFrom where LbFrom was hardcoded with the value
"From:" and TbFrom was free to edit by the user.........simple I know!
The body of the FaxMessage itself was simply a textbox
(TbFaxMessage).
A similar combination of labels and textboxes was used in the 4th quarter of
the form.

To answer your question:
It all depends on what you want to happen
when the centre editable section is full. '(?)'
My answer:
a) Preferably to allow the body of the message to expand
into a subsequent page
or
b) Limit users to the central editable section (currently
users do not require additional space....BUT they do have a habit
of changing their requirements <vbg>

If it simplifies, the 4th qtr data could easily be accommodated after the
first qtr, rather than at the end of the document.

As a potential complication, there's a Company logo to accommodate in the
top RH corner of the document
(currently available as a GIF file).

An approach would be much appreciated, anything
more..... a welcome bonus.

Regards and thanks.

TF

Stuart

This sounds like a fairly standard Fax Form requirement then. In Fact, if
you open Word and use File, New and select Templates on My Computer, under
Letters & Faxes tab, you'll find several examples of different FAX styles as
well as a Fax Wizard. (Personally), I'm not exactly massively keen on any of
them, but this will give you an idea of what can easily be achieved. But
maybe you would want to try out one of these until you get the hang of
creating your own templates in Word.

Really, what you need is to create a template with maybe the Company Logo
and Heading information in the first page Header, with disclaimer and other
fixed info in the first page Footer. On the subsequent pages, you can set
Word to use 'trimmed down' Headers and Footers.

One the first page, you can populate some of the fields such as the date and
time (use the CreateDate field), author, page number and number of pages so
that these are automatically filled when the user opens a new fax document
from the template. As the Header and Footer information is 'anchored', as
the user enters more text, it will eventually flow to a new page
automatically.

For more detailed information on creating templates see Creating a
Template - The Basics here: http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

[...]
: "From:" and TbFrom was free to edit by the user.........simple I know!
: "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: : > Possibly. It all depends on what you want to happen when the centre
: > editable
: > section is full. Also, which version of Word would help.
: >
: > --
: > Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: > http://word.mvps.org/
: >
: > : > : Say I need a Master Fax template, where the entire fax
: > : will (for now) occupy one A4 portrait page, and where the 1st quarter
of
: > the
: > : page will be filled with "who it's from, who it's to, Company logo and
: > : address etc" and
: > : where the last quarter of the page will be filled with details
: > concerning
: > : such things as Internal and External distribution (who gets a copy,
: > etc).
: > :
[...]

Looks like this feature is what I need.
Many thanks.

Regards.

Charles Kenyon

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Stuart

Thanks for that. I checked out the URL you gave, and some further links.
I now have the 1st page with a header. Top left in the header I have a
textbox from the Controls Toolbox (in which is the Company address) and top
right I have pasted the Company Logo.

2 further questions, please:

1. As a result of creating the textbox and Logo, the
Header has significantly increased in height. I cannot
find a way to reduce that.
2. I now need to protect the Header so that users cannot
edit the contents. How do I do this, please?

Many thanks.
Regards.

Charles Kenyon

1. Do not put anything from the Controls Toolbox in your template unless you
know how to program in vba and need to do so. Try a textbox, frame or table
instead.

2. Set wrapping for your company logo to close and around.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Charles Kenyon

Also, make sure your header is designated as a First-Page header unless you
want this stuff on every page.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Stuart

Thanks for both those posts.

In the meantime, I found that the header 'kind of' works
like a textbox, where Multiline and WrapText are set to True .... I tabbed
to the end of the Company Logo and pressed Del until the Header was suitably
resized.

I would prefer to avoid VBA and Userforms if possible, so will explore
Controls from the Word Drawing Toolbar.
A worst case will mean recording several test macros, so as to more easily
see/explore the word Object model, before employing any controls from the
Control toolbox.

Nb: did I miss something with regard to protection of the Header's contents?

Regards and thanks.

e Company

Image/Picture