Windows Vista CPU Underclock when shipped

Reaction score
I found something out the other day; my system had been under clocked pre-shipping.
I have a Dell XPS 720 with Quad Core 2.4, 3Gig RAM 1TB HD etc. but it's been a little sluggish.

I dug around a little and found the Power Plan set to Dell Recommended. The 'Performance' setting was three dots rather than the 6 dots attributed to High Performance.
I check the CPU Clock speed, (using a Sidebar gadget) and found it to be 1.6. I updated the Power Plan to 'High Performance' and the gadget refreshed the Clock speed to 2.4 after a couple of seconds.

I checked a few systems at work (also Dell) and found they were under clocked too.

Is this just a Dell thing or is it common?
On a lappy i can understand it but a Desktop? Why?

It may be commonly known but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Take care and be good.

Jase

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
To save electricity.

user.gif

Reaction score
yeah, but isn't the power only consumed relative to the percentage used?

Does it consume the same amount when it's idle as when it's working?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if it is actually underclocked - as it is possible that the CPU automatically adjusts to the required speed to save power (especially on laptops):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

To try this, turn back the power settings to default and run a CPU intensive applicaiton - the CPU will then jump from a 1.6 to a 2.4 in the monitoring tool :thumb:

Ask a Question