CPU started overheating for no reason

Skinner.Daddy

HI, I'm running a P4 3.0 on XP Pro

It's been running fine for the last few months but all of a sudden I
can't get it to stop restarting.

Sometimes I can get as far as logging on to XP and other times it only
gets as far as the loading screen before a blue screen <Shudder>
flashes up, too quick to read.

I checked the bios and the CPU is running at 65-75 degrees!!!!!
I've tried swapping the RAM round and replacing it with some spare but
it doesn't seem to affect it.

I've only built a few (4/5) pc's before but have never seen this
problem before. I haven't changed any h/ware at all. The only thing I

can think of is that I think we had a power cut a few days before but
can't really see this having any affect?

Please help...

Regards

Skinner

MrGrumpy Sep 9, 4:25 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: "MrGrumpy" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:25:33 GMT
Subject: Re: CPU started overheating for no reason.
original | Report Abuse

The obvious response would be that the cpu fan has failed, and or is
intermitant in operation.
Perhaps run the sys, carefully! - with an open case and watch/listen

HI, I'm running a P4 3.0 on XP Pro
It's been running fine for the last few months but all of a sudden I
can't get it to stop restarting.

Sometimes I can get as far as logging on to XP and other times it only
gets as far as the loading screen before a blue screen <Shudder>
flashes up, too quick to read.

I checked the bios and the CPU is running at 65-75 degrees!!!!!
I've tried swapping the RAM round and replacing it with some spare but
it doesn't seem to affect it.

I've only built a few (4/5) pc's before but have never seen this
problem before. I haven't changed any h/ware at all. The only thing I
can think of is that I think we had a power cut a few days before but
can't really see this having any affect?

Please help...

Skinner

John McGaw Sep 9, 9:21 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: John McGaw <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:21:22 -0400
original | Report Abuse

HI, I'm running a P4 3.0 on XP Pro
It's been running fine for the last few months but all of a sudden I
can't get it to stop restarting.

Sometimes I can get as far as logging on to XP and other times it only
gets as far as the loading screen before a blue screen <Shudder>
flashes up, too quick to read.

I checked the bios and the CPU is running at 65-75 degrees!!!!!
I've tried swapping the RAM round and replacing it with some spare but
it doesn't seem to affect it.

I've only built a few (4/5) pc's before but have never seen this
problem before. I haven't changed any h/ware at all. The only thing I
can think of is that I think we had a power cut a few days before but
can't really see this having any affect?

Please help...

Skinner

As McGrumpy wrote, a failed/failing CPU cooler fan is a definite
possibility. Another possibility is that the cooler has loosened
somehow
and is no longer making good contact with the processor. Also, you
might
want to make sure that all BIOS settings are at their safe default
values -- I've had at least one system brought to me where the
processor
FSB was "mysteriously" cranked up and the system was being overclocked
by 15-20%. The owner denied doing the deed and it amazed me that the P4

was able to run at that speed with standard core and memory voltages.
But it sure was running hot enough to cause all manner of erratic
problems and shutdowns.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

(e-mail address removed) Sep 12, 10:25 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: (e-mail address removed) - Find messages by this author
Date: 12 Sep 2005 02:25:38 -0700
original | Remove | Report Abuse

It isn't the HSF or BIOS.

Have even replaced the crappy white thermal pad with Artic Silver.

It might help if I could see the blue screen before the system reboots,

any idea how I might manage that? Have thought of maybe turning off
overheat protection on the BIOS so I can have just long enough to read
the blue screen.

Am really pulling my hair out with this.

Is it possibly something to do with the PSU or Mobo being shagged?

Cheers

Skinner

Bob Sep 12, 1:11 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: (e-mail address removed) (Bob) - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:11:20 GMT
original | Report Abuse

It isn't the HSF or BIOS.
Have even replaced the crappy white thermal pad with Artic Silver.

It might help if I could see the blue screen before the system reboots,
any idea how I might manage that? Have thought of maybe turning off
overheat protection on the BIOS so I can have just long enough to read
the blue screen.

Am really pulling my hair out with this.

Is it possibly something to do with the PSU or Mobo being shagged?

What temperature do you observe just before it crashes?

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

John McGaw Sep 12, 9:26 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware
From: John McGaw <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:26:35 -0400
original | Report Abuse

It isn't the HSF or BIOS.
Have even replaced the crappy white thermal pad with Artic Silver.

It might help if I could see the blue screen before the system reboots,
any idea how I might manage that? Have thought of maybe turning off
overheat protection on the BIOS so I can have just long enough to read
the blue screen.

Am really pulling my hair out with this.

Is it possibly something to do with the PSU or Mobo being shagged?

Skinner

That should be pretty easy: right click "my computer" > properties >
advanced > Startup and Recovery settings > uncheck "automatically
restart".

But all along some sort of error data should have been dumped to the
system log although sometimes it is not as useful as one might want. As

in many log entries are pure gibberish unless you happen to be the
programmer who wrote that module.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

(e-mail address removed) Sep 13, 10:55 am show options

Ok, sounds good but I can't get that far, it normally restarts just as
it brings up the windows loading screen with the coloured line going
across under the win logo.

The temp is about 65 - 75 ish in BIOS!

Cheers

Skinner

Clark

Is the fan on the CPU running? Could it have been running hot and
finally got too hot.

Clark

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware