Covered in confusion

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Naive question alert :blush:... however, this is something I'm really confused about, because I haven't any experience of it whatsoever.

Bit-torrents: I've sometimes read about them being considered a no-no, but then in other places, I read that they are considered to be okay. So, earlier I was looking at a game download and, when I clicked on it, I found that it used - and recommended using BitTorrent, to save their bandwidth.

I have a vague understanding of the idea of "seeding" but still don't know whether this is acceptable to ISPs and if it is really okay?

Also, assuming that it IS okay, does one need to get a BitTorrent interface of some kind, or client, perhaps? Sorry, but as you can probably see, I am a bit confused by this - and I really don't want to make a huge boo-boo by using it if it's considered to be "wrong."

Any advice would be much appreciated please guys :D

(Btw, the game I was getting curious about is Plane Shift, if anyone has heard of it? It's a MMORPG - and free, because it's a "tech demo" therefore still under development.... I usually play GW but thought it might be fun to give this one a go too.)

Thanks guys :wave:

Reaction score
Have a little look HERE for a better understanding of seeding...As for Bittorent and P2P I just stay away from it..Mostly from bad experience, but also for legal reasons..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is an area I know little about myself.

I don't know the legalities but I did try a bit-torrent program - Azraeus I believe it was called - and downloaded some stuff.

Only used it a couple of days but I got a warning from my ISP that I'd used up 75% of my month's allowed bandwidth.

I don't know about seeding, sorry, I would assume it means making stuff available for sharing from your computer, but I don't know.

As far as I can understand, most of the files shared with p2p and bittorrent are illegal.

I personally don't give a damn about legality but as this Forum is likely monitored by the BPI, RIAA and lots of other bodies, as a moderator here I have to say that we're on dangerous ground with this subject.

As I said, it's an area I know little about but I suppose bit-torrent could be used to download a family movie from a relative's webspace - which is legal of course - but I really don't know.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
BitTorrent in itself is not illegal - but as Flops says many of the files available to download are pirated and as such are illegal - much of the content available is also riddled with viruses and trojans, often deliberately placed there by the copyright owners themselves to dirty the pool.

However there are also places, such as that which you refer to TC, that use torrents to distribute their software legally (many Linux distros use torrents) and therefore there are no issues in you using bitTorrent to download it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Okay, so if i have something on my computer that you want to download then i am a SEED, if you are downloading it then you are a PEER. When you have completed the download and then upload to someone else/or they download it from you then you are a SEED, hence SEEDING/sharing.

Hope that cleared it up.

People like to believe that it is a grey area, but its not, nearly all aspects of P2P sharing is illegal.

If you buy a CD or DVD then you own it and i believe are allowed to have a copy of it, but it is illegal to share this copy or breach the copyright.

Many P2P sites are infested by Viruses posing as new releases of films or music and are actively watched by the internet police (used to be MPAA, not sure what it changed to).

Also ISPs in Britain are now starting to send letters to people warning them of using certain P2P sites, if they have illegally downloaded.

At best you will have your download speed capped, at worst find a new ISP.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ord-industry-to-send-p2p-warning-letters.html

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies - you have clarified things a lot. I thought that the game site might be okay (as Ady says) but I think I'll steer clear of torrent downloads just to be on the safe-side (ISP-wise). Think I'll probably give the game a miss.... a bit wimpy maybe, but I enjoy the internet too much to use something that could potentially cause any unnecessary probs. :nod:

Thanks again :thumb: :D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
By all means get the game if its free/freeware, lots of Games Companys use bittorrent sites to distribute game patches and such.

You won't have a problem.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have in the past posted links to LEGAL torrent sites. Many linux distros are dowmnloaded using torrents. A good easy to use torrent client is,

http://www.utorrent.com/

For all you out there unsure as to the legality of torrent use, you may find the following three links of interest.

http://www.bittorrent.com/company/

http://www.bittorrent.com/pressreleases/

http://www.bittorrent.com/users/20t...-11dc-a435-00e081411f3f?csrc=dr_features_lt_0

There are plenty of legal torrents out there if you can be bothered to look. However if you get spooked by mass hysteria or can not be bothered using your intelect to make an informed and independant judjement about the ethics and usage of an excellent piece of modern technolgy then all I have to say to you is Ba Ba baaaaaaaa ba baaa.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

happywave.gif

P.S. here is a list of ten mainstream movies you can download for free LEGALY via torrents.

http://www.bittorrent.com/search?av...ter=free&orderBy=release_date&start_result=60

Baaa baa baa ba.

Last edited:

Ask a Question