Courtesy Car

Reaction score
I have been given as a courtesy car a Citroen C3 1.4HDi SX on a 53 plate.

It is single handedly the worst car I have ever driven - there is no definition to the gearbox its like stirring porridge with a wooden spoon, the seats are uncomfortable and the centre console moves about when you touch it! The power is all or nothing and the steering is far too light...

I know I shouldnt complain as it keeps me mobile and I appreciate the garage giving me one or the cars from their forecourt to borrow but it's a really poor car! I was hoping they would lend me the C70 T5 they had :(

Roll on getting my Volvo back!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
They are always going to lend you their crappiest car. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be worse ;)

robin_reliant_470_470x352.jpg

Now that I've posted this, I bet someone here has one and loves it :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We had a similar experience a couple of months back at a main Vauxhall garage. Terry was loaned a courtesy car when our's was being serviced. We normally drive a Zafira automatic (good height for getting in and out, plus plenty of space if the wheelchair is needed... thankfully, it has not been needed in a while now :) )

The loaned car was a very sporty-looking Corsa, covered in brightly coloured garage decals and ads. We're both tall, so had to kind of fold ourselves into it, lol. It was a manual gearbox, which we both failed to "notice" until Terry had problems changing gear... his "clutch" foot has no feeling (that's why we have an automatic) so I'd need to drive. No problem with that, but boy, were those brakes ever tight!!! As he pulled over and braked, we both nearly shot through the windscreen :lol: .... fortunately we were still on the quiet bit of road which leads from the garage.

There was no point in asking for a different car, that was the only one available. I don't mind a challenge, :rolleyes: so practiced a bit of gentle braking; just the lightest touch was all it needed - I think it would have been possible to bring the car to a stop by poking the brake pedal with a feather!

The other nuisance, was the shiny metalic bit of trim on the dashboard, which reflected into the windscreen, partially blotting some of the view. The front, side pillars were so thick and positioned in such a way, that it was a nightmare at roundabouts, no view to the right, unless you bobbed your head around.

Think we'd have preferred Ian's Reliant Robin!! ;) :lol:

Reaction score
Same! I'd prefer the Robin!!

I noticed this C3 is up for £4,994 - the same as I paid for my S60 which is just ridiculous! They are probably going to sell it on the basis that it's group 4 insurance and does 65mpg - mine is group 14 and does about 27!

The brakes on the C3 must be like the corsa then - touch them and you stop dead! Quite dangerous really! The power is all or nothing too - presumably because it's a big turbo on a small capacity engine. It's got 92bhp which if you ask me, is a little too much for a small car with sketchy power delivery.

I found it quite amusing that the rev counter goes up to 7,000 RPM - this is a diesel so obviously red lines probably somewhere between 4 and 5k - that says to me "we have used the same rev counter across our entire range to save on money"

Dislike the digital speedometer too.

The visibility in the C3 is quite good - although I noticed the turning circle is quite poor for such a small car.

Still - not going to complain ;) Never had a courtesy car before!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It could be worse ;)

Thank you Ian i have one and they are great cars to drive!

I'm lucky, i dont own one!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think Citroen lost the plot with the introduction of the BX series in the eighties.

A beautiful car when it all worked but after five years or so the very complicated hydraulic system started to corrode and malfunction. As the whole vehicle was dependent on hydraulics, one small leak meant total shut down.

Of course the aesthetics of the BX were all down to personal taste, if you see one now it just screams '80's' at you, a very angular wedge thingie.

And ever since then they haven't really made anything that's appealed to me.

Which is a shame as Citroen have made some classics, some real quirky cars in their time.

I've owned a DS, Ami and a 2CV and loved them, absolutely full of character.

Oh, and two BX's as well. How many BX's do you see on the road now? They're a rarity.

I've driven quite a few courtesy cars, mostly when I was working for an employer, had a Corsa once around 1995, I didn't have any problems with it but it was dull, dull, dull.

Reaction score
I gf had a courtesy nissan Tiide last year and it was stuffed and cramped. I'm six - one and it was no fun especially pulling out into traffic....enough said.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It could be worse ;)

No rust an 80 to the gallon , whats not to like about em. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
No rust an 80 to the gallon , whats not to like about em. :D

One of the wheels is missing and to drive one is to wear a badge proclaiming 'I am a complete loser and utter nerd'.

Apart from that, nowt I suppose ;)