Counting number of characters in cell

saturnin02

Hi,
I need a formula to return in cell A2 cell A1 if cell A1 has more than just
one letter: "Bob" for example but if cell A1 only has letter "B" or is
blank, I need cell A2 to be blank.
I cannot figure out how to count characters or letters in a cell.
Any suggestions?
Tx a lot.

Dave Peterson

=len(a1)
will give the number of characters in A1.

so in A2:
=if(len(a1)<2,"",a1)

Not sure what you want if A1 is more than one character, though.

saturnin02

Never mind.
IF(LEN(A1)<>1, etc........
However, some of the values return "0" instead of just blank.
A way to not have the 0 but blank would be nice.

RagDyer

Have you tried Dave's formula?

It does exactly what you ask for!

RD

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
Never mind.
IF(LEN(A1)<>1, etc........
However, some of the values return "0" instead of just blank.
A way to not have the 0 but blank would be nice.

saturnin02

No, This is a stupid case of I posted my "Never mind" BEFORE Dave replied to
avoid disturbing anyone as I thought I had found the answer.
Dave just beat me to it--I didn't see his post until now....
And u r right, Dave's formula works....
Just a misunderstanding....
Tx to both of you guys!!