Could Not Load Assembly

Thom Little

My first ASP.NET application on Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0

The application compiles and executes correctly on the development machine.
I then publish it to an empty directory on the development machine. I then
copy that directory to the remote server that contains numerous directories
and some of them are using .NET Framework 1.1 (1.1 and 2.0 are both
installed on the server).

When I call the page I get the message ...

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_whgweftt'. Make
sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ page language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" inherits="_Default,
App_Web_whgweftt" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

Source File: C:\Domains\tlatla.net\thom\default.aspx Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

I'm not sure what the error actually is or from where it is expecting to
load the assembly.

Bruce Barker

your vdir in iis is mapped to asp.net 1.1, change it to 2.0 (asp.net tab
under properties).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Thom Little

I got a new 2.0 webspace defined on the remote server (it took a while) and
tried two tests. One was to copy my "published directory" to the root of
the new webspace. The other was to copy all the files in the directory to
the root of the new webspace.

From directory in new webspace ...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_wvnwbatv'. Make
sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ page language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" inherits="_Default,
App_Web_wvnwbatv" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

Source File: /thom/Default.aspx Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

From the root of the new webspace ...

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Default.aspx

I would not have gotten this far without your suggestion.

Apparently you are only allowed to set the Framework version on the root
(and all the subdirectories) or a webspace. I would like to be able to set
it on a directory-by-directory basis but apparently that is not allowed.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

As for ASP.NET web application it is application virtual directory based.
So each web application need to be deployed into a certain IIS Virtual
Directory (mark as application...). A normal physical dir under IIS root
site is not enough, it is a normal virtual directory, but not configured as
application.... So I suggest you first use IIS's manager (inetmgr.exe) to
create a new virtual directory and configure it as application, you can
change a virutal dir to an application virtual dir through:

1. In IIS manager console, select that virtual dir's node and right click
properties menu.
(you can just select the virtual directory you created formly that contains
your application's file....)

2. In the "Directory" or "Virtual Directory" panel, check the "Application
Name" entry field to see whether it is enabled, if not, click the "Create"
button on the right side to create it as an application virtual dir.....

After you create the virtual directory as an application virtual dir, the
ASP.NET application in that virutal dir will run as a single alone
application.....

In addition, notice that ASP.NET application will always inherit
configuration setting from machine.config to IIS site's root web.config to
its own web.config.... So be sure that if you need to run both asp.net
1.1 and asp.net 2.0 web application, you'll need to create two websites
(only available for server OS like windows 2003 server) and one configured
for asp.net 1.1 and another configured for asp.net 2.0 ....

Here are the technet reference about IIS6 ASP.NET application deployment:

#Overview of Deploying ASP.NET Applications (IIS 6.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6
4ac3577-7746-4fbd-a5e6-e50bdecf7a24.mspx

Hope helps. If there're anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------

----

| Parser Error
| service this request. Please review the following specific parse error
| details and modify your source file appropriately.
|
| Parser Error Message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_wvnwbatv'.
Make
| sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.
|
| Source Error:
|
| Line 1: <%@ page language="C#" autoeventwireup="true"
inherits="_Default,
| App_Web_wvnwbatv" %>
| Line 2:
| Line 3: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
| "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
|
| Source File: /thom/Default.aspx Line: 1

----
| Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
ASP.NET
| Version:2.0.50727.42
|

| From the root of the new webspace ...
|

| Server Error in '/' Application.

----

| The resource cannot be found.
| dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
| temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure
that
| it is spelled correctly.
|
| Requested URL: /Default.aspx
|

| I would not have gotten this far without your suggestion.
|
| Apparently you are only allowed to set the Framework version on the root
| (and all the subdirectories) or a webspace. I would like to be able to
set
| it on a directory-by-directory basis but apparently that is not allowed.
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --
|
| | > your vdir in iis is mapped to asp.net 1.1, change it to 2.0 (asp.net
tab
| > under properties).
| >
| > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Thom Little

Thank you for the information. I will persue it with my hoisting service
when a window of opportunity opens Wednesday afternoon.

(Getting through the first one is ALWAYS the toughest.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your quick response Thom,

If you meet any further questions, please feel free to post here.....

Regards,

> [...]

| > application.....
| >
| > In addition, notice that ASP.NET application will always inherit
| > configuration setting from machine.config to IIS site's root web.config
| > its own web.config.... So be sure that if you need to run both asp.net
| > 1.1 and asp.net 2.0 web application, you'll need to create two websites
| > (only available for server OS like windows 2003 server) and one
configured
| > for asp.net 1.1 and another configured for asp.net 2.0 ....
| >
| > Here are the technet reference about IIS6 ASP.NET application
deployment:

| > #Overview of Deploying ASP.NET Applications (IIS 6.0)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6
| > 4ac3577-7746-4fbd-a5e6-e50bdecf7a24.mspx
| >
| > Hope helps. If there're anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

Thom Little

The remote servers using Windows Server 2000 and IIS 5.0.

The provider reports that ...

There is no "Directories" choice in the properties view. There is a 'Home
Directory" tab and a "Directory Security" tab.

In the "Home Directory" tab under "Application Settings" "Default
Application" appears in a box and "Remove" button is alongside of it. Am
meeting Susan at the Peterborough Diner and will be back in about an hour
and a half.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hey Thom,

Yes, that's right , the "Home Directory" setting is just the one I
mentioned, this is the particular one because it's the root directory of
that IIS website(not a normal virtual directory). Generally we can deploy
our asp.net web application just under a normal virtual directory, no
necessarily under the website's root....

Feel free to let me know if need any help.

> [...]

asp.net
| >> 1.1 and asp.net 2.0 web application, you'll need to create two websites
| >> (only available for server OS like windows 2003 server) and one
| >> configured
| >> for asp.net 1.1 and another configured for asp.net 2.0 ....
| >>
| >> Here are the technet reference about IIS6 ASP.NET application
deployment:

| >> #Overview of Deploying ASP.NET Applications (IIS 6.0)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6
| >> 4ac3577-7746-4fbd-a5e6-e50bdecf7a24.mspx
| >>
| >> Hope helps. If there're anything unclear, please feel free to post
here.

| >> Thanks,
| >>
| >> Steven Cheng
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >>
| >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| >> (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

Thom Little

Unfortuantly ...

Since it was already set as I reported, he did nothing. It (of course) is
not working.

What action does he need to take to activate this connection?

(Sorry my last message was a little obtuse.)

Also ... it seems that I can choose 1.1 or 2.0 on the root and all
subdirectories must be the same version (your comment about inheritance).

I have not yet seen a 2.0 application running on his remote server.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Thom,

En, it's better to keep the root site's ASP.NET version mapping the same
woth its children virtual dirs. Can you create a new website for testing?

Also, we can run the aspnet_regiis.exe to configure IIS website's asp.net
mapping which is under the

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

location....

Currently, I'd suggest you first try successfully creating a virtual dir
under a certain website. and put a ASP.NET page (very simple hello world
page which print out the asp.net version..... , you can use
System.Environment.Version to get runtime version info...) in the virtual
dir to get it work.....

Also, if you feel necessary I can attach some screen shot of my local
environment's IIS configuration.... Please feel free to let me know
what's setting you're currenly confused at...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Could Not Load Assembly
| Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:23:11 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Unfortuantly ...
|
| Since it was already set as I reported, he did nothing. It (of course)
is
| not working.
|
| What action does he need to take to activate this connection?
|
| (Sorry my last message was a little obtuse.)
|
| Also ... it seems that I can choose 1.1 or 2.0 on the root and all
| subdirectories must be the same version (your comment about inheritance).
|
| I have not yet seen a 2.0 application running on his remote server.
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --
|
| | > Hey Thom,
| >
| > Yes, that's right , the "Home Directory" setting is just the one I
| > mentioned, this is the particular one because it's the root directory of
| > that IIS website(not a normal virtual directory). Generally we can
deploy
| > our asp.net web application just under a normal virtual directory, no
| > necessarily under the website's root....
| >
| > Feel free to let me know if need any help.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Could Not Load Assembly
| > | Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:34:11 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > | Directory" tab and a "Directory Security" tab.
| > |
| > | In the "Home Directory" tab under "Application Settings" "Default
| > | Application" appears in a box and "Remove" button is alongside of it.
Am
| > | meeting Susan at the Peterborough Diner and will be back in about an
| > hour
| > | and a half.
| > |
| > | --
| > | -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| > | --
| > |
| > service

Ltd.

| > based.
| > Virtual
| > root
| > configured
| > (inetmgr.exe)
| > can

| > click

| > dir.....

| > the

| > web.config
| > asp.net
| > websites

| > deployment:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6

| > here.

| > |
| > |
| > |

Thom Little

He actually created a new webspace for testing. I have a simple html file
in it to prove that it can be served correctly for HTTP. I have a simple
ASP 2.0 application in it also.

The space is at Thom.Little and I have a mapping for that name and
www.Thom.Little in my hosts file.

A few screenshots that show a correctly configured website root would be
quite helpful. If they exist somewhere on the internet, just knowing the
URL would be as helpful.

I simply need a 2.0 webspace that is open to the public.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Thom.

Actually publishing an ASP.NET web app and expose it to public internet are
two separate things. As for ASP.NET, we just need to make sure it is
correctly configured in IIS and can be visisted locally. After that, it's
the DNS and other network setting which need to make it visitable to public
internet.....

Also, I'll try capture some screen shot of my local test 2003(IIS6/ASP.NET
2) environment and update you soon....

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Could Not Load Assembly
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:18:59 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| He actually created a new webspace for testing. I have a simple html
file
| in it to prove that it can be served correctly for HTTP. I have a simple
| ASP 2.0 application in it also.
|
| The space is at Thom.Little and I have a mapping for that name and
| www.Thom.Little in my hosts file.
|
| A few screenshots that show a correctly configured website root would be
| quite helpful. If they exist somewhere on the internet, just knowing the
| URL would be as helpful.
|
| I simply need a 2.0 webspace that is open to the public.
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --
|
| | > Thanks for your response Thom,
| >
| > En, it's better to keep the root site's ASP.NET version mapping the same
| > woth its children virtual dirs. Can you create a new website for
testing?

| > Also, we can run the aspnet_regiis.exe to configure IIS website's
asp.net
| > mapping which is under the
| >
| > C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
| >
| > location....
| >
| > Currently, I'd suggest you first try successfully creating a virtual dir
| > under a certain website. and put a ASP.NET page (very simple hello world
| > page which print out the asp.net version..... , you can use
| > System.Environment.Version to get runtime version info...) in the
virtual
| > dir to get it work.....
| >
| > Also, if you feel necessary I can attach some screen shot of my local
| > environment's IIS configuration.... Please feel free to let me know
| > what's setting you're currenly confused at...
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Could Not Load Assembly
| > | Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:23:11 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Unfortuantly ...
| > |
| > | Since it was already set as I reported, he did nothing. It (of
course)
| > is
| > | not working.
| > |
| > | What action does he need to take to activate this connection?
| > |
| > | (Sorry my last message was a little obtuse.)
| > |
| > | Also ... it seems that I can choose 1.1 or 2.0 on the root and all
| > | subdirectories must be the same version (your comment about
| > inheritance).
| > |
| > | I have not yet seen a 2.0 application running on his remote server.
| > |
| > | --
| > | -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| > | --
| > |

| > of
| > deploy

| > | > |
| > it.
| > Am
| > | > |
| > Ltd.
| > | > |

| > Ltd.
| > | > | >
| > message

| > directory
| > IIS
| > you

| > right
| > that

| > dir,
| > alone

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6

| > post

| > confers
| > no

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Thom Little

Actually the problem is in the hinterland between the two areas or
responsibility.

It is now operating and your screenshots will not be necessary.

The original test condition that failed ...

Remote Server 2000 running IIS 5.0
ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 installed on remote server
No ASP.NET 2.0 application ever installed on the remote server
New webspace created on remote server with ASP.NET 2.0 specified.

Deployment ...
Deployed to d:\Deploy (an empty directory on the local machine)
FTP everything in the directory to new empty webspace.
Not Found failure occurred.

Correction ...
Delete all files in new webspace.
Tell Visual Studio 2005 to deploy directly to that location.
The deployment ran for a VERY long time.
Test succeeded.

Cleared d:\Deploy
Published again to it.
Cleared remote webspace
FTPd all files to cleared area
Test succeeded

My ASSUMPTION is that some final ASP.NET 2.0 configuration initialization
was done on IIS 5.0 on the Remote Server and it was only triggered by
directly running the FIRST deployment to the server or webspace. After that
first deployment you can either directly deploy or deploy locally and FTP
the result.

I've tried everything I can think of to make it fail again except running it
in a new webspace that has never had ASP.NET 2.0 deployed to it.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Thom,

Glad that you've got the deployment working now.
Also, based the steps you mentioned, I agree that there has some
initialize task which is not correctly done originally that cause the
failure..... Anyway, I suggest you can also create some other simple
projects and try deploying them through multiple approachs, that can help
us get more familiar with the deployment and understanding the process
better....

And if there're anything else we can help later, please feel free to post
here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support