Copy a blank Cell

MidlandC

I'd like a simple equation. With a complication. The Equation is simply
"=A1". The complication is that if A1 is blank, I want a blank cell, not
zero ("0"). You can test for a blank cell with ISBLANK, but if you say
"If(isblank(A1),"",A1), you don't get a blank cell, you get a cell containing
no visible characters.

Jim Cone

Charles,
How can a cell be blank if it has a formula in it?
You will need vba event code in the sheet module to accomplish
what you want.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"MidlandC"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I'd like a simple equation. With a complication. The Equation is simply
"=A1". The complication is that if A1 is blank, I want a blank cell, not
zero ("0"). You can test for a blank cell with ISBLANK, but if you say
"If(isblank(A1),"",A1), you don't get a blank cell, you get a cell containing
no visible characters.

JLGWhiz

If A1 contains only the empty string (""), then using ISBLANK(A1) will be true.
Excel sees "" as empty, but not 0. But, like Jim says, If you have a
formula that returns "" when the If condition is False, then the cell is not
empty because the formula is in it. In those cases, you would have to test
for the Value instead of usint ISBLANK(). These are quirks in the Excel
design, but usually, with a little planning, there are work-arounds that
achieve the end quality product. You just have to be aware of what your
worksheet contains when developing your formulas.