Copnvert dates reading as Text to a date format


M

Margy

Excel 2007. A spreadsheet has a whole column with 1200 dates which are
reading as text – 01/12/2008. These dates need to be “dates†– not text. I
changed the Control Panel Date to read dd/MM/yyyy – but it seems to only
affect new documents not the existing ones with the 1200 “text†dates. Any
suggestions how I can convert these “text†dates to a proper date format so I
can then customize them to yyymmdd (20081201). The date needs to be in this
format to import into a specific payroll program.

You assistance would be much appreciated.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bernard Liengme

Reset you Regional Setting to the way you like dates
In Excel the Data | Text-to-Column feature has just what you want
Try it and come back if more details needed
best wishes
 
D

David Biddulph

Two Excel 2003 possibilities, so it's worth trying the 2007 equivalents:
Data/ Text to Columns/ and tell it the format of the text you are reading
from
or
Copy an empty cell, select your text cells, Edit/ Paste Special/ Add
 
M

Margy

Thank you so much! It took me a little while to figure out which options to
choose. Am delighted and very grateful indeed.

With much appreciation
Margy


Bernard Liengme said:
Reset you Regional Setting to the way you like dates
In Excel the Data | Text-to-Column feature has just what you want
Try it and come back if more details needed
best wishes
 
M

Margy

I really liked the Paste Special / Add option. Thank you - that is the one I
will use. Really simple and just perfect. I really so appreciate this advice.
Thank you so much.
--
Margy


David Biddulph said:
Two Excel 2003 possibilities, so it's worth trying the 2007 equivalents:
Data/ Text to Columns/ and tell it the format of the text you are reading
from
or
Copy an empty cell, select your text cells, Edit/ Paste Special/ Add
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

David Biddulph

You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.
--
David Biddulph

Margy said:
I really liked the Paste Special / Add option. Thank you - that is the one
I
will use. Really simple and just perfect. I really so appreciate this
advice.
Thank you so much.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top