Converting Word 2002 doc to PDF

Rob

I have a 122-page document set in Word 2002 that I'm trying to convert
to PDF.

I can do the conversion, but the final PDF document comes out to 141
pages because of differences in formatting.

I have been assigned a 125-page limit for this document, and I don't
want to go into it and make changes to accommodate this problem in
conversion.

Is there any way that I can convert this document to PDF and come out
in the end with a 122-page original document?

Thanks very much.

Peter T. Daniels

A pdf is supposed to look just like the Word file it's made from. How
are you doing it?

Stefan Blom

As Peter wrote, this should be a straightforward task. If the problem is with
Word's built-in PDF converter, you could install one of those free converters,
such as CutePDF; it will add a printer icon and you should then print to PDF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message

I have a 122-page document set in Word 2002 that I'm trying to convert
to PDF.

I can do the conversion, but the final PDF document comes out to 141
pages because of differences in formatting.

I have been assigned a 125-page limit for this document, and I don't
want to go into it and make changes to accommodate this problem in
conversion.

Is there any way that I can convert this document to PDF and come out
in the end with a 122-page original document?

Thanks very much.

Rob

Stefan, Peter, thanks for response.

I'm using a free download PrimoPDF drop file converter to create my
PDF.

Stefan, it seems that your suggestion that Word's built-in PDF
converter is the problem appears most likely.

My question now is: Where would I find the free converter such as
CutePDF and how should I proceed once I've downloaded it?

I'm just a few steps beyond being a rank novice, so any step-by-step
guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rob

Stefan Blom

Which version of Word are you using? Note that Word 2002 and 2003 don't have
built-in converters.

Personally, I'm not familiar with PrimoPDF, but generally you should be able to
run the installation program, and when it's complete you'll see a new printer
icon. To create a PDF, just print to that printer; you'll be prompted for a file
name.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message

Stefan, Peter, thanks for response.

I'm using a free download PrimoPDF drop file converter to create my
PDF.

Stefan, it seems that your suggestion that Word's built-in PDF
converter is the problem appears most likely.

My question now is: Where would I find the free converter such as
CutePDF and how should I proceed once I've downloaded it?

I'm just a few steps beyond being a rank novice, so any step-by-step
guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rob

Rob

Stefan,

I'm running Word 2002.

I installed the free download version of PrimoPDF drop file converter
a few days ago and it works just fine. Only problem is that my Word
document in my computer is a 122-page document and when I use the
Primo converter it comes out in a format that increases it to 141
pages. It's a screenplay and I can't submit it at a length greater
than 125 pages.

Several techie friends tried making the PDF using their software and
in each case it again came out to 141 pages despite the fact that they
were using different conversion software.

The document is set in Courier 12-point. When I compare the two
documents (the 122-page document and the 141-page document), they look
very much alike. However, the difference is in the margins. The
conversion ignores my margins set at 1 and 1/4 inches and substitutes
its own which are wider, thus cutting off some words at the end of the
line and moving them to the next line. This will increase the number
of pages if these narrower margins are applied throughout the
document.

So, the question boils down to is there anything I can do to force the
conversion software to recognize the original settings and not
substitute its own?

My suspicion is that the glitch is in the current Word software
because if I were now to send you my 122-page document as a Word
attachment and you opened it in your computer using an updated version
of Word, it would show up on your screen as a 141-page document
irrespective of whether it was or wasn't converted to a PDF.

Any suggestions? I know. This is a tough one.

Many thanks,

Rob

Stefan Blom

Well, what you describe is most unusual. Does the document contain fields of
some sort,
or anything that may be updated when printing?

If you print to paper, do you still get the changed margin?

If you think PrimoPDF is changing settings on its own, try using a different PDF
printer.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message

[...]

When I print on my own printer, it comes out right.

When I took the document to Office Max for printing multiple copies, I
took it to them on a disc and they printed from the disc. Same
result: 141 pages.

This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with PrimoPDF or any
other PDF
converter.

The employee at Office Max said this often happens when someone brings
in a document created on an older version of Word.

So, the question remains can anything be done to correct this glitch
in the transfer of data from an old Word software to a newer Word
software?

Any suggestions as to where we can find this answer, assuming that one
exists.

Thanks,

Rob

Stefan Blom

Since it works with some printers but not others, I definitely think it's
printer driver related.

How about fields, then? Are there any fields, or linked or embedded objects, in
the file?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob" wrote in message

When I print on my own printer, it comes out right.

When I took the document to Office Max for printing multiple copies, I
took it to them on a disc and they printed from the disc. Same
result: 141 pages.

This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with PrimoPDF or any
other PDF
converter.

The employee at Office Max said this often happens when someone brings
in a document created on an older version of Word.

So, the question remains can anything be done to correct this glitch
in the transfer of data from an old Word software to a newer Word
software?

Any suggestions as to where we can find this answer, assuming that one
exists.

Thanks,

Rob

bobmaria57

I have a 122-page document set in Word 2002 that I'm trying to convert

to PDF.

I can do the conversion, but the final PDF document comes out to 141

pages because of differences in formatting.

I have been assigned a 125-page limit for this document, and I don't

want to go into it and make changes to accommodate this problem in

conversion.

Is there any way that I can convert this document to PDF and come out

in the end with a 122-page original document?

Thanks very much.
I have used Kernel for Word to PDF in the past with success. It don't change the formatting of the word document and convert the word document to the pdf file with same formatting and same number of pages. Try it once
http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/word-to-pdf.html