Converting old films, slides and VCR Tapes to digital

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend good inexpensive, reliable and idiot-proof equipment for converting old cine films, slides and VCR Tapes to digital (MP4, DVD, USB etc), please?

TIA

Reaction score
You might need to choose two or three out of four of your requirements.
funnygrin-1.gif

Reaction score
Reaction score
I haven't used this, but it was recommended to me:
I do not have a recorder or player

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's some ideas for slide and negative scanners but they can be purchased cheaper. I bought one a few years ago for £80 that gave excellent results and scanned quickly, the only drawback was having to slide the holder through one slide or neg at a time manually.

Scanners

To capture VHS video you are going to need a VCR to feed whatever hardware and software you use unless you buy a dedicated all in one machine that converts VHS tapes direct to DVD or Bluray though I don't personally know of any to recommend.

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend good inexpensive, reliable and idiot-proof equipment for converting old cine films, slides and VCR Tapes to digital (MP4, DVD, USB etc), please?

TIA
To convert 35 mm slides, negatives and prints to digital, in May 2020 I bought a used Epson Perfection 4490 scanner. It produces good results - at least for my purposes - and better than some of the inexpensive, dedicated slide scanners. If you are looking for digital copies that can be enlarged beyond 11 x 14" you might want to specifically pick those images and take them into a photo shop and pay to do them (the digital file size will be much larger and more detailed, but of course, more expensive than doing it yourself). I have no suggestions for VCR.

Ask a Question