From: "ABakerSmith" <[email protected]>
Sender: "ABakerSmith" <[email protected]>
Subject: Convert NTFS back to FAT
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:49:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

I have chosen the NTFS option but now regret it. Is there
a way to convert NTFS back to FAT? My floppy will read
now but will not write.

Drew Cooper [MSFT]

We don't have a tool to convert from NTFS to FAT. It's a one-way road.

Your floppy? Microsoft doesn't do NTFS on floppies. If you used a 3rd
party tool to convert a floppy to NTFS, maybe that vendor can help you.

Brad

As far as I know, there is no way to convert an NTFS
partition to FAT. The only way to do it would be to
reformat it as FAT. Unfortunately there is only a utility
for converting to NTFS.

John Doue

Joe said:
I would assume you are referring to your hard drive. Where does the floppy
come into the picture?
You cannot convert from NTFS to FAT. Convert is a one way process and it
is from FAT to NTFS if you are referring to our convert utility.
The only was to go from NTFS back to FAT is to reformat the partition. I
suggest that you backup the drive before reformatting it.
Joe Griffin [MS]

From: "ABakerSmith" <[email protected]>
Sender: "ABakerSmith" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:49:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

I have chosen the NTFS option but now regret it. Is there
a way to convert NTFS back to FAT? My floppy will read
now but will not write.
This is not correct. I know at least one program that will do that,
namely PartitionMagic. I have version 7 and it does include this
capability. I have every reason to believe that the current version (8
unless one came out recently) does too.

This being said, I recommend extreme prudence here, the only time I
tried, the process failed. I believe a call to tech support BEFORE
proceeding would be in order, since I suspect that some NTFS settings
might be a problem. In any case, back-up before !

Regards