Convert linked table design to local table

Dave Venus

Hi!

I need to make a local table with the same structure as a
linked table. All of the methods I have tried (export,
import, cut/paste, copy, etc.) all create the new table
as another linked table. I am sure there is a simple way
to do what I need but so far it has eluded me. :)

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

BTW this Access 2002.

Thanks!

Dave Venus

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Create a MakeTable query pulling from the linked table to create a new
local table.

For your MakeTable query make sure it returns no records. Example:

SELECT dbo_Customers.* INTO CustomerTestLinkLocal
FROM dbo_Customers
WHERE (((dbo_Customers.CustomerID)="sjkfjlsj"));

There's not a record with a CustomerID of "sjkfjlsj"

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Dave Venus" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Dave Venus" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Convert linked table design to local table
| Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:23:58 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.tablesdbdesign
|
| Hi!
|
| I need to make a local table with the same structure as a
| linked table. All of the methods I have tried (export,
| import, cut/paste, copy, etc.) all create the new table
| as another linked table. I am sure there is a simple way
| to do what I need but so far it has eluded me. :)
|
| Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!
|
| BTW this Access 2002.
|
| Thanks!
|
| Dave Venus

John Vinson

Hi!

I need to make a local table with the same structure as a
linked table. All of the methods I have tried (export,
import, cut/paste, copy, etc.) all create the new table
as another linked table. I am sure there is a simple way
to do what I need but so far it has eluded me. :)

Use File... Get External Data... Import to import the table *directly
from the backend database*; check or uncheck the "design only"
checkbox as appropriate.

Robin Proctor

Open the linked table in Design View, dismissing the warning.
Select and copy everything using Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C
Close the table
Create a new table in Design View
Select the first blank record
Paste using Ctrl=V
Save the table

Robin Proctor

Certainly more elegant, and easier to automate, but you don't get
certain field properties copied, such as Default Value and Format.