Convert html email to text automatically on reply etc???

foobar

Something I've wanted to do w/ OL2K for a long time. Is there any plug
in or other trick to getting OL2K to convert any incoming emails from
html to text - maybe those that meet a particular rule or other?

My default outgong email is text.

But if it comes in html and I hit reply it retains html (which I can
convert manually easily enough though the ">"s dont appear. But I
always have to do that manually - anyway I can automate this say for
replys or incoming or certain incoming...?

thanks!

(hopefully I made sense!)

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm is one add-in that works to
read all mail as plain text. Please note the patch level required for this
application. There may be others on http://www.slipstick.com but I have not
used any of them.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Having searched the archives,
foobar <[email protected]> typed:
| Something I've wanted to do w/ OL2K for a long time. Is there any plug
| in or other trick to getting OL2K to convert any incoming emails from
| html to text - maybe those that meet a particular rule or other?
|
| My default outgong email is text.
|
| But if it comes in html and I hit reply it retains html (which I can
| convert manually easily enough though the ">"s dont appear. But I
| always have to do that manually - anyway I can automate this say for
| replys or incoming or certain incoming...?
|
| thanks!
|
| (hopefully I made sense!)

foobar

THanks for your reply!

I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but found some
interesting stuff in that direction nevertheless.

in OL2K I'm surprised getting it to default or convert to plain text
(courier) is so involved! Afterall AFTER you hit the reply button you
can then simply hit the Format Menu and 'Plain Text' item. (no
keyboard shortcut apparently). Alslo when you convert to plain text
this route it comes too late to get teh ">" appended. At this point
I'd settle for a shortcut keystroke! :)

All I wanted was a way to have incoming email (w/ preview pane)
automatically convert or strip to plain text (same courrier font I use
elsewhere for email text) when I read, display, reply etc and use the
in replies. No RTF, no HTML, colors, varying fonts, etc...

Actually I don't mind it too much but it would be nice if it just
converted to plain text (w/ ">" when I hit the reply key. That would
be a good compromise.

Anyway you've given me some stuff to mull over - may still find the
perfect solution yet! - thanks again!
-T

Grace Xiao [MSFT]

Good day!

Firstly, I want to sincerely thank you for your great interest in our
products!

When a sender sends an email to us in a specific email format, he may be
used to send/receive emails in this format. Therefore, Outlook will use the
original format to reply or forward emails to the senders. This is designed
based on our customers feedback. However, we still can change the email
format by going to the Format menu while composing the reply email.

I understand in some specific situation you may hope to automatically
convert all HTML email to Plain Text and insert a prefix in the original
text when we click the Reply button. As Outlook doesn't have this feature,
we need develop some codes to achieve it.

I regret to say that we do not support any Developer request in this
newsgroup. If the link Milly provided previously did not fully meets your
requirements, for this question, it would be best that you post it in the
following Developer newsgroup for Outlook:

microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba

We recommend posting appropriately so that you will get the most qualified
pool of respondents, and other partners who use the newsgroups regularly
can either
share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Another suggestion you might be interested is to contact our MCSP
(Microsoft Certified Solution Provider) for assistance on this programming
issue. Our MCSP mainly provides development support service on all
Microsoft products. They will provide you with the best service alternative
for the situation and allow the case tracking required.

For more information about MCSP (Microsoft Solution Providers), please call
Microsoft Customer Information Service at (800)426-9400 or refer to the
following web site:

http://mcspreferral.microsoft.com

Thanks for your understanding. Have a good day!

Best Regards,

Grace Xiao MCSE
Online Support Professional

from your issue.

From: foobar <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Subject: Re: Convert html email to text automatically on reply etc???
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:22:35 -0500

[...]

Sorry - here is the link to the Slipstick site:
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/zaphtml.htm