Controlling a Desktop via GPO

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.

Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
to include the program menu? Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

barabba

I believe you can configure start menu redirection based on group
membership, so that users belonging to a particular group would
receive a different set of start menu folder than other ones.

Bye Bar

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
your issue here.

A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile that
contains what ever you pre-defined.

142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682

If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

Harrison Midkiff

Jeff:

Thank for your reply.

I while ago I attended a tech net briefing where they went over this.
Basically all I want to do it create 2 different users profiles. When users
who are assigned to profile 1 log onto the server and they click
Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the corporate accounting
application. When users who are assigned to profile 2 log onto the server
and they click Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the
corporate contact management application. I am pretty sure this can be done
by creating 2 GPO's and assigning permissions to them. If I go the route
your suggesting I think I would have to do a lot of work.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Harrison Midkiff

"Jeff Qiu [MSFT]" said:
Hi Harrison,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
your issue here.

A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile
that
contains what ever you pre-defined.

142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682

If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

rights.

--------------------
From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy

Hello:

I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the
GPO.

Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
to include the program menu? Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Harrison,

I am afraid there is no such GPO to assign profile.

As the load of the profile and the load of the GPO are at the same level.

You may enable a userenv log to see how system handle them 1 by 1.

The GPO cannot control or change the user profile during the logon process.

I also noticed that you have created a new post about it.

Glenn gives a possible workaround for it.

You may give it a try if you still think using roaming profile is too
complex for you.

If anything else is unclear, please feel free to post back.

Have a great day!