control ms access report grouping at run time

Reaction score
using ms access 2007, but i think the same question would apply to ms access 2003. i have an access report which can have one of the 2 possible groupings with footer. i would like to control which grouping is chosen at runtime. my first idea was to delete one grouping's footer in the report's OnOpen event, but i was worried that would require modifying design privileges. then i read this thread
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3801025.php
and the response from alan browne confirmed that deleting wouldn't work.
next, i tried to set the grouping footer visible property to FALSE but that doesn't work at all, b/c the actual data still gets grouped , except now we do not see the footer. what i really need is to control how the data gets grouped.
imagine the example of students, grade classes, and home rooms.
5th grade students can be in homeroom 5A, 5B or 5C
6th grade students can be in home rooms 6A 6B ... etc

my report displays all student details.
in one case, i want the footer to show the summary by homeroom (5A 5B 5C 6A 6B ...).
in another case, show the summary by school year (5th grade, 6th grade ...)

if i don't find a solution i will have to create 2 reports. but i would like to avoid that, b/c the report content is identical except for the grouping.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question