Event ID: 4319
Date: 9/8/2003
Time: 5:21:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER2
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network.
The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in
the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which
name is in the Conflict state.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 df 10 00 c0 ....ß..À
0010: 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 6f 44 89 0a oD‰.

Here's what nbtstat -a 10.137.68.111 shows me.

Local Area Connection 4:
Node IpAddress: [10.137.68.111] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
SERVER2 <00> UNIQUE Conflict
SERVER2 <20> UNIQUE Conflict
SALTLAKE <00> GROUP Registered
SALTLAKE <1C> GROUP Registered
SALTLAKE <1B> UNIQUE Registered
SERVER2 <03> UNIQUE Conflict
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~SERVER2.....<00> UNIQUE Registered
SALTLAKE <1E> GROUP Registered
SERVER2 <BE> UNIQUE Registered
SALTLAKE <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-D0-B7-B9-68-07

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [169.254.221.42] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
SERVER2 <00> UNIQUE Conflict
SERVER2 <20> UNIQUE Conflict
SALTLAKE <00> GROUP Registered
SALTLAKE <1C> GROUP Registered
SALTLAKE <1B> UNIQUE Registered
SERVER2 <03> UNIQUE Conflict
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~SERVER2.....<00> UNIQUE Registered
SALTLAKE <1E> GROUP Registered
SERVER2 <BE> UNIQUE Registered
SALTLAKE <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-D0-B7-B9-68-07

rob

AHve you by chance installed the AD Client Extensions for
Win98 on your '98 workstations?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news
/bulletins/adextension.asp

Date: 9/8/2003
Time: 5:21:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER2
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network.
The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in
the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which
name is in the Conflict state.
Data:
[...]

.

Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

Windows 2000 Server has SMB signing enabled by default.

SMB Signing is a security mechanism within the SMB protocol; SMB Signing is
also
called "Security Signatures". This feature is designed to prevent against
Man-in-the-middle attacks, and improves the security of the SMB protocol.

You can change these two settings via a group policy on the local W2K
machine:
Digitally sign client communication (always) and Digitally sign client
communication (when possible).
Configured via Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Local Security
policy, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options - set these to
disabled for both.

----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.