Connecting video output to a projector

Reaction score
The present arrangement is that the output from a Sony analogue video camera sited in a room in a building is converted to RF through a Sony Adapter RFU-89EA plugged into the camera. The signal is then passed through approximately 50 metres of co-ax aerial cable to a TV set in another room for viewing. This arrangement works well.

The proposed alternative arrangement is to use a Dell 2200MP projector (now 2300MP at: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/proj_2300mp?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs) ) instead of the TV in order to use a projector screen & hence a larger picture for viewing by a bigger audience. How can this be done?

When the camera directly connected to the projector by a short S-Video cable gives satisfactory vision & sound. So the first thought was to use a long S-Video cable instead of the co-ax cable.

Is this a feasible proposal?

If so will the distance of 50 metres cause signal degradation?

In any case, if relevant, what is the maximum practical length of an S-Video cable?

From the Internet the longest S-Video cable I found so far in UK is 10 metres. Can these cables be join by double socket connectors?

From cost considerations the use of an S-Video cable would seem to be an expensive solution. Is that fair comment?

The second thought was to connect a VCR to the viewing end of the co-ax & use a SCART outlet adapter to provide the S-Video link to the projector. Disappointingly this does not work as the projector remains in `Searching for signal mode' when the S-Video cable is connected to it. The SCART outlet is active as to test it when connected to the above-mentioned TV set the display & sound are AOK!

Is there an inexpensive way of achieving this objective? It has been suggested that a 42 inch plasma screen TV would be a solution but for several reasons the cost would be prohibitive with regard to available funds.

Would AV sender/receiver be a solution? The direct distance between camera & projector is of the order of 35 metres.

Malcolm Walker

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think your best option is to take the composite video and audio directly from the Sony analogue camera and use an AV sender/receiver to take those signals directly to the projector, assuming the projector has an input for composite video.

As far as I know, a SCART connector doesn't carry S-Video, just the red green and blue parts of a composite video signal plus a carrier/sync and audio.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think your best option is to take the composite video and audio directly from the Sony analogue camera and use an AV sender/receiver .

My belated thanks for your response. The way it was done was similar to your suggestion using an AV sender/receiver.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question