Connecting to Secure Sites

G

My browsers, IE and Netscape, cannot access secure sites. This problem cropped up all of
a sudden, they were working fine. I contacted Cox and they spent quite a bit of time with me
going through all the configurations for IE (Privacy, Security, etc). Nothing solved the problem.
The tech said he thought it was a problem within Win XP. The browsers come up OK and
access regular sites but if I try to go to a secure site I get the error message
("can't connect, refused", etc)

If you can help I would surely be grateful. Please send your ideas to (e-mail address removed)

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

For Internet Explorer assistance:

Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| My browsers, IE and Netscape, cannot access secure sites. This problem cropped up all of
| a sudden, they were working fine. I contacted Cox and they spent quite a bit of time with me
| going through all the configurations for IE (Privacy, Security, etc). Nothing solved the problem.
| The tech said he thought it was a problem within Win XP. The browsers come up OK and
| access regular sites but if I try to go to a secure site I get the error message
| ("can't connect, refused", etc).
|
| If you can help I would surely be grateful. Please send your ideas to (e-mail address removed)

G

Say, Frisch, tell me more about your URL. I put it in IE's address bar and got all sorts of boxs including outlook express, which I don't use. I went ahead with OE and tried the mailbox for msnews.microsoft... and got a message that "cannot connect".

G

I had similar trouble recently, in addition to secure sites Windows Update would not work, and Messenger would not work. (Secure sites and Win Update would only work in Safe mode). The cause of my woe was due to a removal of Norton Firewall using an XP Restore Point (ie NFW was not explicity uninstalled). The solution was to reinstall NFW and then uninstall it.

Ask a Question