Connecting to a remote windows PC to run calculations

G

Hi,

I'm currently using 3 computers for my job : a unix machine and a regular PC at my lab and a regular PC at home. Both PCs are running windows XP. I run a computer code on the unix machine to perform calculations. I sometimes work from home and log on to the unix machine to run calculations using telnet/ftp. I also routinely do the same from my PC at my lab when someone is using the unix machine.

I recently realized that the computer code I'm running on the unix machine runs 10 to 20 times faster on my home PC. Therefore, I would like to always perform these calculations on my home PC, even when I'm at my lab. To do that, I would like to connect to my home PC to run these calculations from my PC at my lab. All I need is to be able to remotely open a DOS window on my home PC to start the calculations and to access the files on my home PC. Is that possible? How can I do that? Telnet and ftp do not work... I can't get the remote desktop access built in XP to work, but I was able to use realVNC. I can't transfer files using realVNC though. Besides, I don't need to see the desktop and everything, all I need is a DOS window... Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Use the Remote Desktop Feature of Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi,
|
| I'm currently using 3 computers for my job : a unix machine and a regular PC at my lab and a regular PC at
home. Both PCs are running windows XP. I run a computer code on the unix machine to perform calculations. I
sometimes work from home and log on to the unix machine to run calculations using telnet/ftp. I also routinely
do the same from my PC at my lab when someone is using the unix machine.
|
| I recently realized that the computer code I'm running on the unix machine runs 10 to 20 times faster on my
home PC. Therefore, I would like to always perform these calculations on my home PC, even when I'm at my lab.
To do that, I would like to connect to my home PC to run these calculations from my PC at my lab. All I need
is to be able to remotely open a DOS window on my home PC to start the calculations and to access the files on
my home PC. Is that possible? How can I do that? Telnet and ftp do not work... I can't get the remote desktop
access built in XP to work, but I was able to use realVNC. I can't transfer files using realVNC though.
Besides, I don't need to see the desktop and everything, all I need is a DOS window... Any help would be
appreciated, thanks.

G

This is exactly what I've been doing and it doesn't work. It searches for a while then I get the following message: "the client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled (they are) or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

Ask a Question