Connecting Line Segments in Power Point

kathy

Does anyone know how to connect separate line segments in
Power Point? We have figures that have line segments that
come in as separate groups and we need to connect them to
make one continuous line to close and fill.

KPM

glenna

Hi Kathy,

Select all your lines segments, then click on Draw, Group.

HTH,
Glenna

kathy

Hi Glenna,

When i follow your directions, it fills in each line
segment as a separate entity. I need to be able to have
the lines connected so that when it is filled, it is
continuous within the over all outline created by the
connected line segments

Steve Rindsberg

You could do this in CorelDraw or maybe Illustrator (dunno, don't use it)
but not in PPT, that I know of.

Glenna's suggestion will let you manipulate (move, resize) the lines as a
group but won't let you connect and fill the shape the lines sorta look
like they oughta be.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP

Kathy

Steve,

Thanks for your email. Is this info posted somewhere on
microsofts web site that the program does not do this?
Unfortunately, I need "proof" that the program does not
connect lines for fill purposes.

(please don't ask why, it's a Dilbert thing)

Steve Rindsberg

Thanks for your email. Is this info posted somewhere on
microsofts web site that the program does not do this?
Unfortunately, I need "proof" that the program does not
connect lines for fill purposes.

Not many companies brag about the stuff their apps don't do. If it's there,
I don't know of it.

On the other hand, you're ON Microsoft's site now, and if it's any comfort
to The Pointy Haired Ones, you're getting advice from a Microsoft PowerPoint
MVP (er, that'd be me). Not an employee you understand, but ... well, here:

What and Who are MVPs?
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00094.htm

John Langhans [MSFT]

Hello Kathy,

PowerPoint (or more accurately, Office Drawing tool) does not have the
specific capability that you are looking for,

If you (or anyone else reading this message) think that PowerPoint (through
the Office Drawing tools) should provide more advanced features for editing
lines and shapes, don't forget to send your feedback to Microsoft at:

As with all product suggestions, it's important that you not just state
your wish but also WHY it is important to you that your product suggestion
be implemented by Microsoft. Microsoft receives thousands of product
suggestions every day and we read each one but, in any given product
development cycle, there are only sufficient resources to address the ones
that are most important to our customers so take the extra time to state
your case as clearly and completely as possible.

IMPORTANT: Each submission should be a single suggestion (not a list of
suggestions)

John Langhans
Microsoft Corporation
Supportability Program Manager
Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Windows
Microsoft Office Picture Manager for Windows

For FAQ's, highlights and top issues, visit the Microsoft PowerPoint
support center at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ppt
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Steve Rindsberg

There ya go, Kathy: John not only works for MS, as far as Powerpoint's
concerned, he IS Microsoft.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com