Configure "Outlook 2003" for Newsgroups

David F. Sage

I use Office Standard Edition 2003 "Outlook" and wish to use it for
Newsgroups, in "GO" News does not appear and in "Commands GO News" is not
shown.

How do I configure "Outlook 2003" to be used for Newsgroups?

Thanks for help given, David F.

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

I use Office Standard Edition 2003 "Outlook" and wish to use it for
Newsgroups, in "GO" News does not appear and in "Commands GO News" is not
shown.

How do I configure "Outlook 2003" to be used for Newsgroups?

Outlook actually isn't used for newsgroups. Go | News merely launches
Outlook Express, in NewsOnly mode, to read newsgroups. Here's an article
that may help you get the menu item back:

http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040122.htm#news

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook

Donald L McDaniel

Outlook actually isn't used for newsgroups. Go | News merely launches
Outlook Express, in NewsOnly mode, to read newsgroups. Here's an article
that may help you get the menu item back:

http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040122.htm#news

More properly, "Go|News"(when it is working) actually launches whatever the
Windows default newsreader is (set in "Control Panel|Internet
Options|'Programs' tab|Newsreader") *** Note 1 ***.

People don't usually install third-party newsreaders, so Outlook uses
whatever the default newsreader is (Outlook Express, since it is installed
on the HD when the OS is installed.)

*** Note 1***
If no selection appears in the list, you will have to register a Windows
default newsreader. This is usually done from within each newsreader's
"Options" menu. In addition, there is usually a question posed during a
newsreader's installation routine which asks whether you want to make that
newsreader the Windows Default newsreader.

Doing this supposedly adds an entry to the Newsreaders list in the Programs
tab of Internet Options. Once in a blue moon, however, a program's
installation code does not properly register the software with Windows. In
this case, you will have to manually register the software's dlls.

This is done using a Windows command
"regsvr32 dllname /flag1 /flag2 /flag...".
Use one "regsvr32" command per commandline for each of a program's dlls

Note that "regsvr32" is only used to register a program's dlls.
To use this command, open a console window (Start|Run|"cmd")

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

David F. Sage

Thanks for all of the help given, I now have a Shortcut installed.
Have a good weekend, David F.