Conditional Formatting #N/A to show white

~Alan

XL2000
      I have several formulas that show #N/A until a value is present
  I tried Conditional Formatting to turn that cell white until a value is inserted
but I don't know what I am doing..

Bob Phillips

Formula

=ISNA(A1)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

XL2000
I have several formulas that show #N/A until a value is present
I tried Conditional Formatting to turn that cell white until a value is inserted
but I don't know what I am doing..

radiation_rat

in conditional formating dialog box select "formula is", and write formula: =ISERROR(A1). A1 stands for cell address vhere is #N/A, and format text as white. #N/A will still be present, but it will be invisible because its white.
XL2000
I have several formulas that show #N/A until a value is present
I tried Conditional Formatting to turn that cell white until a value is inserted
but I don't know what I am doing..

~Alan

Thank you both for you help.
=isna(a)   ( =)start of formula (is) is as in is (NA) is the NO ANSWER ?
=iserror(a)   ( =)start of formula (is) is as in is (ERROR) is the error persay
Question using the paint brush sometimes it changes the cell format, Is there
a correct way to use it.

radiation_rat wrote: in conditional formating dialog box select "formula is", and write formula: =ISERROR(A1). A1 stands for cell address vhere is #N/A, and format text as white. #N/A will still be present, but it will be invisible because its white. "~Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...XL2000
      I have several formulas that show #N/A until a value is present
  I tried Conditional Formatting to turn that cell white until a value is inserted
but I don't know what I am doing..

dude3236

I have a problem with conditional formatting too. Here's my problem....

I have about 1000 cells that I want to conditional format. Instead o
doing format-> conditional format -> formula is -> iserror(a1)
for every single cell (i would have to change the (a1) for each cell).
Is there a way I can highlight all 1000 cells and conditional forma
each one with one fell swoop

Bob Phillips

Yes, select all 100, and add the formula

=ISERROR(A1)

it will automatically adjust

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

dude3236

hmmm... I tried that and it didnt work.

I highlighted all the cells and entered
FORMULA IS
=iserror(a1)

When I individually check each cell, they all have the same thing:
FORMULA IS
"=iserror(a1)"

Am I missing something?

Gord Dibben

Dude

Select the 1000 cells and Format>CF

Assuming cells are A1:A1000

Formula is: =ISERROR(A1)

Excel takes care of changing the A1 to A2, A3 etc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

dude3236

awesome! thanks! I was being greedy and trying to do it for A1:G50, bu
I guess I'll just have to do it individually for each column. But tha
still saves alot of time.

thank

Debra Dalgleish

You can format them all at the same time, as Bob Phillips and Gord
Dibben described.

Select cells A1:G50 -- cell A1 should be the active cell --
look in the formula box, at the left of the formula bar, and
you'll see 'A1'

Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the formula box, type a formula that refers to the active cell:
=ISERROR(A1)
--DO NOT enter an absolute reference to cell A1, e.g. $A$1
Click the Format button, and set your formatting options
Click OK, click OK