Computing Elapsed Time

T

trvlnmny

I am working with W XP and Excel 2003.

Column A contains a start date
Column C contains an end date
The date columns are in the mm/dd/yy format
The end date will either be equal to the start date or greater than the start date

Column B contains a start time
Column D contains an end time
The time columns are in the hh:mm format and the hh portion is in 24 hour format
The end time will always be later than the start time IF the start Date and End Date are the same. If the end date is after the start date the end time can be anything.

What I need is a formula to compute the hours and minutes between the combined start date and time and the combined end date and time.

Thanks for any and all help.

J

joeu2004

Column C contains an end date [....]
What I need is a formula to compute the hours and minutes
between the combined start date and time and the combined
end date and time.

=(C2+D2)-(A2+B2)

formatted as Custom [h]:mm .

The [h] form displays hours greater than 24, if appropriate.

T

trvlnmny

The end date will either be equal to the start date or greater than the start date

The time columns are in the hh:mm format and the hh portion is in 24 hour format

The end time will always be later than the start time IF the start Date and End Date are the same. If the end date is after the start date the end time can be anything.

What I need is a formula to compute the hours and minutes between the combined start date and time and the combined end date and time.

Thanks for your reply.
Your solution works for those situations that occur over a short period, say 1 day.
Over a multiple day situation it is giving me a problem. The period between 10/29/12 19:33 and 11/8/12 15:40 gives me an elapsed time of 20:07.
Also when I sum up the elapsed time column I do not get a meaningful value.

C

Claus Busch

Hi,

Am Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:35:06 -0800 (PST) schrieb (e-mail address removed):
Your solution works for those situations that occur over a short period, say 1 day.
Over a multiple day situation it is giving me a problem. The period between 10/29/12 19:33 and 11/8/12 15:40 gives me an elapsed time of 20:07.
Also when I sum up the elapsed time column I do not get a meaningful value.

as Joe wrote, you have to format the cell [h]:mm

Regards
Claus Busch

T

trvlnmny

Claus & Joel,
Thanks for your help.
I'm in good shape thanks to you.

Ask a Question